Send customer request to Dev team

MaksymZ September 18, 2014

Hello,
I'm trying to understand how to transform customer request into task for developers.

We have two teams - Service agents and developers.
Service agents are 3 people who ahswers questions andif some problem with functionality appears - they forvard the problem to dev team.
And dev team consists of 10 people.

We have case: User reports some issue in our application. User does it through service desk panel. Ticket in Service Desk is being created and assigned to one of three agents. Then agent understands, that this is real issue and it needs to be resolved in general development workflow with code review, QA session, deployment. After issue is fixed, developer reports to Service Desk agent that everything is fixed so he could inform customer about that.

Right now I can't see proper flow for it.
Several ideas are:
1. We have big workflow for Fault issue type where we have states like: 'await response from customer', 'in progress', 'QA session', ... . But to handle such tickets all developers should also be agents. This is not logical nor from Billing perspective nether from Service Desk definition itself

2. We have two different projects. One is for Service Desk and another is for development flows. When Service Desk agent wants to involve developer to help with that, he creates new ticket in another project. Than Links current Service Desk ticket to that newly created as "Blocked by". But this option is also not so good. Because for every project which has Service Desk panel we should double projects in Jira also. And that linking process also not very intuitive.

What would you suggest for us?

regards,
Maksym.

2 answers

1 vote
Deleted user October 21, 2014

@Elisa Diel [Atlassian] - So if I understand correctly, there is not a way to convert an SD ticket into a Dev ticket and transition it into our regular JIRA Project Management implementation?

My company is facing the same issue. All help and enhancement requests come into the same system. We then have to create the projects and subtasks in JIRA to track the latter, while the help/operations requests are handled in the regular ticketing system. We're looking to eliminate that middle step, but it really does not look like integrating SD with our JIRA would accomplish that.

Is that accurate?

Thanks!

0 votes
Elisa [Atlassian]
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
September 19, 2014

Hi Maksym,

Actually the second option does make sense. Imagine the following cenario:

A customer raises a ticket on Service Desk (SD) regarding some issue. The agent identifies it's a bug and the development team needs to work on it. The agent raises a ticket for the dev team. Dev team analyses the ticket and it can take a while. Meanwhile, there are other customers raising the same ticket. Agents will start linking SD tickets to the one created to the dev team and the other way around. This way both your customers and dev team will known what each other are doing/requesting.

If you'd like a real example, please look over Atlassian SAC (where customers open tickets) and Atlassian JIRA (where tickets are raised for the dev team). This way some customers can follow the status of the bug right on the dev team ticket and get real time response instead of waiting for an agent to get an answer back to them.

Does it make sense to you? I am not sure if I was clear enough to help you.

Please let me know if you have any doubts. smile

Cheers!

Suggest an answer