Send a daily email to assignees of open tickets

Az January 11, 2018

Hello,

We have a self-hosted version of JIRA. I have a business type project in which there are ~10 users. 

I want to set it up so that at a certain time every day, say 9:00 am or midnight. Users get an email with a list of all the open tickets that are assigned to them. 

How can I configure this?

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Carlos Garcia Navarro
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 11, 2018

Hello Aaz,

You can create a filter that return all your open issues (assignee = currentUser() AND resolution = Unresolved order by updated DESC) and subscribe to it.  When you subscribe you can select time and frequency to receive the filter results.

Issues->Manage Filters -> (Find your filter)->Subscribe-> Set frequency and time

Screen Shot 2018-01-11 at 9.45.13 PM.png

Screen Shot 2018-01-11 at 9.51.01 PM.png

Hope it helps,

Carlos

Az January 12, 2018

Hi @Carlos Garcia Navarro, thanks for the help.

Do I to issues in the left nav of the project, or in system administration? I don't see a screen which says manage filters or allows me to subscribe to filters in my setup. 

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 12, 2018

Issues is in the (really poorly designed) left nav, but you now have to go back out of your project to get there.  Click on the Jira icon, then you should see a list with dashboards//projects//filters//things

Az January 12, 2018

@Nic Brough -Adaptavist- @Carlos Garcia Navarro I can see it and I get the email, but how can I get it to go to everyone? 

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 12, 2018

Change the "recipients" to the main login group.

I'd recommend not doing that though - a lot of your users will treat it as spam.

Az January 12, 2018

@Nic Brough -Adaptavist- got it thanks :)

Dan D November 5, 2021

Hi, this doesn't actually answer the question as it requires every team member to set up their own subscriptions.

Is there a way as a manager that I can set up a daily email for the team where each team member only see's their own tickets? I know I can set it up so everyone gets ALL open tickets but then it's spammy and people will start ignoring it.

Using Jira Cloud if it makes a difference?

Boris Berenberg - Atlas Authority
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 5, 2021

@Dan Drew we support an admin or project lead setting up this kind of notification in our app, Notification Assistant for Jira: 

https://marketplace.atlassian.com/apps/1211069/notification-assistant-for-jira-email

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 5, 2021

You can subscribe a group to a saved filter if you want.

Dan D November 5, 2021

@Boris Berenberg - Atlas Authority thanks

I was actually going to answer my own question as you can also do with without an extension if you have the Manage group filter subscriptions global permission.

Per this topic if you use the currentUser() function then each email will be filtered to that user and if you leave "Email this filter, even if there are no issues found" then only users with matching results will get notified.

Updating the above:

• Instead of choosing "Personal Subscription" choose a group which contains your entire team
  • Ensure the query sets Assigned To = Current User
  • Uncheck "Email this filter, even if there are no issues found"

This is how I set mine up and confirmed that only the user with current results received the email

Screenshot 2021-11-05 095315.jpg

Boris Berenberg - Atlas Authority
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 5, 2021

Yup that will absolutely work.

A few caveats to consider:

• You need to have groups that match the intended recipients (we often find this to be a challenge)
    • If groups are controlled at the IDP level, the person managing notifications may get stuck 
  • This will break if you ever leave the company as the subscription is still tied to your account
  • This will break if the JQL sharing permissions change / don't align with recipient groups
Dan D November 5, 2021

Thanks, good things to keep in mind

If the goal is project-level notifications then most of those issues should be fine assuming the query has the correct project filter. Even if you choose a large group (like I did with All Users) then you can be sure only people working on the project will get notified.

Good note on leaving the company, although that typically has a load of transition problems of this kind to deal with :)

Suggest an answer