Self-populating custom lookup field

M_S_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 6, 2017

I would like to create a custom field with a dual nature: users should either be able to select from previously entered values or enter a new value (which in turn is then available to pick for subsequent issues).

Is there such a custom field type that supports this? 

3 answers

2 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
M_S_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 8, 2017

Well, I guess, in that case I will be looking at nFeed (an excellent plug-in) to pull data from a database and think about keeping up a table there with values that we will be using. May actually be better in my case, as it prevents users from creating duplicate entries accidentially.

0 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 6, 2017

No, and as far as I can tell, no one has written an add-on to provide such a field.

The closest you can get is very close - a label field.  It accepts new input values, but suggests exisiting ones when the user starts typing.

M_S_
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 6, 2017

"...suggests existing ones..." means based on the browser? This would have nothing to do with JIRA and not work across users/computers?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 6, 2017

I don't understand that comment.

A label field makes suggestions based on pervious labels that have been entered.

Suggest an answer