Selecting tickets for the Kanban

Jens Theisen October 10, 2017

I just figured out that I can "move to top" a ticket in the tickets list so that it appears at the top of the backlog.

It's still somewhat tedious to get, say, the 5 tickets with highest priority on the Kanban board (and out of the backlog).

Do I really first have to say "move to top" on each, the switch to the backlog and then move the first 5 tickets on the board?

What's the proper workflow here?

2 answers

0 votes
scherbank October 10, 2017

Rank is not equal to the priority. You need to count due dates and urgency not only priority when rank your issues.

Ok, but due dates aren't linked to the order in the backlog either, are they?

the only think that is managing the order is rank.

human who is taking care about product backlog should count all aspects and set the rank.

0 votes

Kanban methodology for service operation tend you to work in following concept: keep your backlog grommed and ordered (top issues need to be taken into process first).

Than you need to set work in progress limit for to do column (for example if you have 4 persons in a team initial limit can be set to 4). 

As soon as a member has capacity to take new task he should go to backlog and drag and drop the highest in backlog column.

Frequently emergency tasks come up that are higher priority than all other stuff. And sometimes another while I didn't finish the first.

So I create a new ticket and then move it from the backlog to the Kanban. There is no faster way, correct?

there are few. they highly depend on the way how you have configured you Kanban.

for example you can use Expedite swimlane in which all urgent task to come and the lane will be always on top popping up with the tickets you mentioned.

you can get rid of backlog at all and sort tickets by priority (changing the filter to "order by priority") means not to use Rank

Jens Theisen October 11, 2017

The Expedite swimlane is indeed an option in this case. Thanks for the tip.

Suggest an answer