Select List - None

Nancy Pham July 22, 2013

How do I get rid of "None" as a value in a Radio Button, Checkbox, or Select List custom field.

Whenever I create any of these custom fields, "None" is there by default and I would like for it to go away.

5 answers

1 accepted

4 votes
Answer accepted
RambanamP
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 22, 2013

you make field mandatory on field configuration then "None" option will disapper.

another way is you can modify velocity files for this check the following document

https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRAKB/How+to+Remove+'NONE'+from+a+Select+List+Custom+Field

another way is using Javascript(let me know if you want do this way)

Randall Robertson
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 22, 2013

I have the same problem in my JIRA 5.1 instance. I changed one of my select fields to Required in the field configuration. Now it will not let me select None, which is an improvement, but it still shows None as an option, which is a problem still. Is that expected when making the field required?

Randall Robertson
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 22, 2013

Note that editing the velocity files removes None from ALL the Select lists in your instance of JIRA, according to the documentation @rambanam posted a link to.

RambanamP
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 22, 2013

Yes, it will remove "None" option globally if velocity templetes edited.

as i said by making field required on field configuration it will hide none apart from this we need to set default value for that field

Randall Robertson
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 22, 2013

I wish that were the case @rambanam. From what I have seen, it doesn't hide the None option - it just stops allowing users to choose it. @Jobin also says the same thing below.

2 votes
Roger Henty May 7, 2014

Rambanam Prasad, you mentioned that there's a way to do this using Javascript - could you describe how to do it that way?

2 votes
Jobin Kuruvilla [Adaptavist]
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 22, 2013

There is also a non-hacky way where the field is made mandatory. That will not take away the "None" option but you will be forced to select another one (unless you gave another value as default).

If you must get rid of None, follow Rambanam's advise.

Randall Robertson
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 22, 2013

You answered my question about None still showing when the field is Required before I even asked it! Thanks @Jobin.

0 votes
Kym Charlesworth February 12, 2021

As Joe Harmon stated, the point of having a select list is that the value is not known until it is being filled out. What if the select list is environments in which an account is to be created? .. there can be no default environment. If a choice is not made, then the Jira ticket should not be capable of being raised. Question originally asked in 2013 .. 8 years later and select list (single choice) custom field remains half-baked.

0 votes
Honey Raj May 4, 2016

You have to make the field required, then the 'none' won't be there anymore.

Joe Harmon October 18, 2017

Not true... I have done this and it still shows up.  I am on JIRA 7.4

Like erikmergeport likes this
Tyler Anderson September 19, 2018

@Joe Harmon you have to make it required and also set a default value in the field context. Then the None value will disappear. 

Joe Harmon September 19, 2018

Yeah that's the problem.  I shouldn't have to set a default value.  The point of having the check list is that you won't know the value until the time you are filling it out. but thank you for clarifying the response.

Like # people like this
Nani April 24, 2019

@Joe Harmon

I also have same problem, did you resolve this problem? 

If Not, at-least can I change the name of "None" to "Please Select" ?

Joe Harmon April 24, 2019

No, not other than what I stated above.

erikmergeport January 9, 2020

I'd suggest putting something more descriptive, like "Please select a value", even a blank field would be better than "None".

Suggest an answer