Security risk? Using JIRA without IIS proxy with a port other than 80.

matskm January 28, 2014

Hi - we are using JIRA on a machine which has IIS listening to port 80. At the moment, tomcat is listening to another port, and I have written rules in the firewall only to open that port up to certain ip-addresses.

However, for an upcoming project I would like to have JIRA accessible to lots more people without maintaining a list of all their ip addresses.

It is fine for them to access JIRA with the non-standard port. I.e.,we do not need them to come in on port 80.

So the question is, what are the security risks of opening up the JIRA port to all ip-addresses?

Put another way: Are there security risks to exposing the port that tomcat is listening to directly to the outside world?

Or: Does the JIRA & tomcat have any obvious security holes?

cheers

Mat

1 answer

0 votes
Davin Studer
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 30, 2014

The biggest security hole that I can think of is you don't want a publicly accessible site with logins running unencrypted. Why do you have the IIS proxy in the first place can you just run Tomcat on 80/443?

Suggest an answer