Searching "Parent Link" fields

Janene Pappas
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 5, 2019

I am trying to construct JQL to find all tickets with Parent Links from a specific project. Using ScriptRunner, I see the components of the "Parent Link" field are: 

"customfield_10018": {
    "hasEpicLinkFieldDependency": false,
    "showField": true,
    "data": {
      "id": 15713,
      "key": "DSJW-293",
      "keyNum": 293,
      "summary": "Stability",
      "projectId": 10011,
      "issueType": {
        "id": "10023",
        "iconUrl": "/secure/viewavatar?size=medium&avatarId=10322&avatarType=issuetype"
      }
    }
  },

Thus the "key" is the field I need to filter upon, but I cannot figure out a way to create JQL to do a sub-string match. Something on the order of: 

"Parent Link" ~ "DSJW"

but I receive an error that "~" is not supported by the field. Nor am I able to drill down the hierarchy of fields to get to the "key" - I get the error "Field 'customfield_10018.data.key' does not exist or you do not have permission to view it."

Is this possible? I am using Jira Cloud. 

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Kristian Walker _Adaptavist_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 6, 2019

Hi Janene,

Thank you for your question.

I can confirm that ScriptRunner for Jira Cloud does not provide the same portfolioChildrenOf() and portfolioParentOf() JQL functions that the server version provides in order out of the box in order to search for Portfolio issues as the API to provide this function does not exist in the Jira Cloud as it does in Jira Server.

The only functionality that ScriptRunner for Jira Cloud provides to search for links is the linkedIssuesOfRecursive() JQL function which the plugin provides and is documented here.

This function can search for Issue links but will not be able to traverse the hierarchy provided by Jira Portfolio as this is currently not supported by Jira Cloud.

You can see more detailed information on the differences between the cloud and server versions inside of our documentation page located here.

I have also looked at what JQL Operators that the Parent Link field supports inside of the Atlassian documentation page here and can confirm that the Parent Link field does not support the ~ operator.

This means you can not search for a value contained in the field and that Jira Cloud will only allow you to search on the field using the operators specified in the documentation page linked above which contains examples on how to search the Parent Link field.

If this response has answered your question can you please mark it as accepted so that other users can see it is correct when searching for similar answers.

Regards,

Kristian

Suggest an answer