Searching on originalEstimate isn't accurate when using weeks or days

Brandon Murakami April 16, 2013

I have a JIRA task that has an 'Original Estimate' of '4 weeks'. However, when I search with the following query (either of them):

project="my project" and originalEstimate >= 4w
project="my project" and originalEstimate >= 20d

the JIRA isn't returned. Interestingly, when I search using the same thing in minutes:

project="my project" and originalEstimate >= 12000m

the JIRA is correctly returned in the search results.
Does anyone know why this is? It's painful to have to convert all of my time-based queries to minutes instead of the much more understandable convention of days/weeks.

3 answers

0 votes
AhmadDanial
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
May 1, 2013

Hey there, Brandon.

Thank you for sharing your findings. When you say that the search via days/weeks/months varies, does that mean that sometimes it shows the correct result and sometimes not? Any luck with the reindexing?

Warm regards,

Danial

0 votes
Brandon Murakami May 1, 2013

After playing with this a bit longer, I think its due to some mysterious way JIRA converts hours into other units of time. Searching on hours is accurate but searching on days/week/month is very variable and can be off by quite a bit.

0 votes
AhmadDanial
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 16, 2013

Hey there, Brandon.

Just did a quick testing on my side and it works fine. May I know which version of JIRA you are running? In addition to that, do you have any third-party plugins installed in your instance? If yes, try to enable the Safe Mode to see if it helps.

In addition to that, try running reindexing too. Hope this helps.

Warm regards,

Danial

Suggest an answer