Searching for letters within fields in JIRA

Hi there,

I have imported a bunch of tickets and need to be able to filter them depending on a reference code field. I have setup this field and some examples below are :

<colgroup><col width="241"> </colgroup>
BR-EA-O2C-P-IT-020
BR-O2C-LM-BR-022
BR-O2C-LM-RE-050
BR-EA-O2C-LM-BR-070
BR-EA-O2C-MI-IT-025
BR-O2C-OM-CA-BR-022
BR-O2C-OM-CA-RG-010
BR-EA-O2C-OM-CA-BR-031
BR-O2C-OM-TO-BR-030

The issue that i have is generating filters based on these codes, for example i want to list all tickets which contain EA in the reference, or all tickets which include OM etc etc. However i can not get this to work.

My generic query is as follows :

project = SPD AND issuetype = "Business Requirement" AND "BRD Reference" ~ "EA*"

This query works just fine for EA, however if i replace it with OM then i get no results (i know there are a few hundred) the same with O2C, again no results when i know there are plenty. However it does work for EA, MDM and CA.

I've tried adding an escaped '-' (ie //-) however it still doesn't work.

Is there anything else i can do? Is this a limitation due to the special character, or the fact that the codes are a long string?

Thanks,

Alex

1 answer

May I know which custom field did you use to implement the reference code field?
As far as I know, the following custom fields types should work just fine with what you're searching for:

Free Text Field (unlimited text)

Text Field (< 255 characters)

Read-only Text Field

Hi Daniel,

I used the Text Field (<255 characters) with a Free Text Searcher Search Template.

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Posted Sep 25, 2018 in Jira

Atlassian Research Workshop opportunity on Sep. 28th in Austin, TX

We're looking for participants for a workshop at Atlassian! We need Jira admins who have interesting custom workflows, issue views, or boards. Think you have a story to sha...

418 views 7 5
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you