Searching for issues where a specific user was mentioned in the description

Charlie Rappa July 17, 2017

We are using Jira as a lightweight ticketing system for various projects. One of the issues that I ran into is being able to have multiple assignees on a single ticket. I know that Jira does not allow this so a workaround that I had was to use '@mentions' and tag anyone who is working on that ticket. 

description ~ currentUser() seems to work but I cant replace currentUser() with the specific user that I am looking for. Can anyone recommend a way to search for tickets wherea a specific user was mentioned in the user field? Or, if someone could recommend a better way to have multiple ticket owners. If I can't get this to work I may wind up using watchers. 

1 answer

2 votes
Alex Christensen
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 17, 2017

Do you know the user's username? I just did a quick test on my own JIRA instance and using description ~ "achristensen" pulled up all issues in which I was mentioned in the description. Using the display name of the user does not seem to work.

Re: having multiple ticket owners - have you considered using multiple user picker fields? By default, JIRA has a custom field type called "single user picker," so you could theoretically use several of those fields to tracker multiple owners, if you want. There's also a "multi-user picker" custom field type, so you could also list all of an issue's owners in one field. Watchers isn't a bad way to go, either, but I feel like Watchers serves a bit of a different purpose (i.e. someone who isn't going be involved in the completion of the issue, but needs to know what's going on, when it's resolved, etc.).

In my personal opinion, I think the design behind having only one Assignee is the way to go. If it's assigned to one person, there's no question as to who is the current person who is working on the issue. That said, I can see the situation in which you would want to maybe use a multi-user picker custom field to reference who might touch a ticket, but I think it's good practice to only have a single Assignee.

Hope this helps!

Suggest an answer