It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

Searching an issue which matches exactly the given words.

Hello,

I was searching some issues in JIRA by applying a filter and I provided three words in the Query field lets say that ( JIRA is good).

When I hit search, I am getting result based on all the words like the Summary conatining only JIRA is also coming in search result and Summary containing only good is also coming in search result, but what I want is the search result which contains only those with Summary containing all of the above three words in combination.

According to me, Summary should contain only search result with above three words at any place any order

What query should I apply to achieve this result.

Thanks

Mohit

9 answers

Grigory's response gave me another thought on how to make it work. Please try

summary ~ "\"Jira is good\""

The escaped inner quotes contains the search term while the outer quotes deals with the navigator syntax.

lots of up-votes for this answer, but i still just get tickets with "Jira" and also "good" but not "Jira is good".

Like # people like this

Yeah, not sure what the up-votes for. This doesn't solve the issue at all.

Like Carlos Garcia Hernandez likes this

I'm not sure why it did not work for you, but it seems to have worked for me.

I hope you found a solution.

Please Atlassian give us a method for >>exact<< searches.      Thank you.

I can't believe that it's possible for Atlassian to have raised $462 million in their IPO 4 years ago and yet Jira still doesn't have a working (nevermind simple/common sense) exact phrase search. Am I just missing something...? Was there $10k in the budget to get this working? I'm sure more than $10k worth of clients would appreciate it.

See if this works for you.

summary ~ JIRA AND summary ~ is AND summary ~ good

You probably need double quotes around the word is since is an operator as well.

Oh, the default search indices has an ignore word list, so the word "is" may not match.

for me this worked:

text ~ "\"Jira is good\"~0"

Would just like to upvote this working answer. (v7.3.2)

Maybe it works for Server, for Cloud it doesn't work. The result is an "All the strings" result but no Exact Match.

Like # people like this

I just retested Cloud on the off chance that something has changed.    This solution is still equivalent to 

• text ~ Jira and text ~ good

which returns all issues with both the word Jira in them and the word good in them, rather than only issues with the exact text "Jira is good" in them.

This isn't what the OP (& the rest of us) is asking for at all.

Shame that it doesn't work on cloud.

Can confirm it works on server though! Didn't realise OP was specifically asking about the Cloud version & odd that it doesn't function in the same way.

(This is assuming you've included the important ~0 bit)

Roger that, I included the ~0 bit.

I'm guessing that some admins have disabled word stemming leading to different end user experiences (see the bottom of https://confluence.atlassian.com/jiracorecloud/search-syntax-for-text-fields-765593720.html for Cloud or https://confluence.atlassian.com/jiracoreserver/search-syntax-for-text-fields-939937723.html  for Server)

I just tested this on my Cloud instance by setting indexing to other.  It's better but it's still not an exact match.     For example:

• text ~ "\"Jira is good\"~0"

still matches the phrase

• jira is extra good

even though it's not an exact match.

I'm guessing that server will have the same "extra" matches as well.   Perhaps someone can test this?

The bad part about this partial solution is that it affects all users and all searches, rather than letting the individuals searches declare if they need stemmed matching or exact matching.

Amazing how Atlassian fails to provide basic search capability users have come to expect from search engines for the last 20 years.

this suggestion was so exciting that despite folks saying it doesn't work on cloud i had to try it myself. .. and confirming that w/ my cloud jira, these yield identical results:

text ~ "\"jira is good\"~0"
text ~ "jira is good"
Like Alexey Miroshnikov likes this

diving in a little further.

it seems that "proximity searches" are not working as documented,
at least in jira cloud.

specifically, i created a test ticket who's description is:

test jira search.

jira versus exact phrasing.

yep.

and then do an advanced search with:

text ~ "\"jira phrasing\"~0"

which yields the test ticket, when it shouldn't.

same results with ~1, which also shouldn't match "jira versus exact phrasing".

text ~ "\"jira phrasing\"~1"

summary ~ "JIRA is good"

As Norman said, you have to use double quotes to search exact phrase.

Does that actually work for you? I have tried it out since version 4.4 (when I started to use JIRA)and it generates results more like field contains word1 or field contains word2 or field contains word3 which is the behavior that Mohit was complaining about.

The reason for questiong, is because maybe there is an option that people can turn on.

My bad - I was wrong. According docs you have to use fuzzy search to get exact match like this:

summary ~ "\"JIRA is good\""

Double quotes inside query have to be escaped.

Sorry for incorrect answer at first.

Hope, this helps.

This doesn't work. Try a two-word phrase with a freshly created issue. I'm getting hundreds of results when I should only be getting 1.

Normally I don't post "ME TOO!" but this question has been open since 2012 and the answers only echo the Jira documentation description ~ "\"match this exact phrase\""
This does not work for me and obviously not for some other users.

Does something have to be explicitly configured to make this work?

Like # people like this

Can only confirm that (at least, without any special configurations) now in cloud Jira the description ~ "\"match this exact phrase\"" approach doesn't lead to the desired result.

Like # people like this

Come on Atlassian- get off your asses and at least reply to this

Like Olap likes this

users to atlassian...

Reading this thread is unbelievable. I honestly think whoever from Atlassian is replying still doesn't understand this issue being described.

Can I force a search to be case-sensitive? That would get me a bit closer to my target

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Posted in Jira

Demo Den Ep. 7: New Jira Cloud Reports

Learn how to use two new reports for next-gen projects in Jira Cloud:  Cumulative flow diagram and Sprint burndown chart. Ivan Teong, Product Manager, Jira Software, demos the Cumulative ...

274 views 1 2
Join discussion

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you