Search for issue key only, not ID

Endre Szalai August 25, 2017

The Jira REST API (json) allows to search for an issue by its key/id. However, the API will return a match on either of them. Is it possible to search for the key value only? Even the queries will return match on both, even if only the key is specified.

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 25, 2017

I don't understand the question.  It's two methods to get one result.  You don't have to use the id.

Endre Szalai August 25, 2017

My use case is that I need to try different IDs to see if any of them is a Jira issue or not. One such ID can be for example PROJ-001, or just a number like 123456. These IDs can be IDs for many different ALM systems, Jira is just one of them.

So when I try to search for an ID in Jira, both examples above can actually return a Jira issue, because the API is searching for both ID and KEY fields. I have not yet found any way to restrict the search to only one of them.

There is a workaround for sure (I can check the result's ID and KEY fields), but if there is a better way to search, it would be more optimal.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 25, 2017

Ah, you're using wild or quick searches that go across fields.

Simple answer is "don't".  Or if you're going to look for a something that is not a JIRA issue key, use "and id != <what I'm searching for>"

Suggest an answer