Search for all issues where all linked issues are closed

ScottW December 10, 2013

I have a JQL query that uses the Search Linked Issues for JIRA plug-in to find all issues where the linked issues are all closed. The query takes an average of 55 seconds to run and might return < 100 records.

As you can see in my JQL, I have to exclude anything not closed, then include anything that's closed. Is there a way to optimize this query? Or maybe there's a more efficient plug-in I can use?

project = VMC AND issuetype = Feature AND fixVersion = "Release 2.4" AND issue not in linkedIssuesFromQuery("project = VMC and issuetype = Story and status in (New, \"In Progress\", \"In Testing\", Reopened, Completed)") AND issue in linkedIssuesFromQuery("project = VMC and issuetype = Story and status = Closed")

Thank you

1 answer

1 accepted

3 votes
Answer accepted
Udo Brand
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 5, 2014

I'm not sure if this will boost your performance, however I believe a "=" or "!=" is faster than an "in" operator. So you could try:

project = VMC AND issuetype = Feature AND fixVersion = "Release 2.4" AND issue not in linkedIssuesFromQuery("project = VMC and issuetype = Story and status != Closed") AND issue in linkedIssuesFromQuery("project = VMC and issuetype = Story and status = Closed")

You can achieve the same result via script runner plugin there I would use

project = VMC AND issuetype = Feature AND fixVersion = "Release 2.4" AND issuefunction in hasLinks("<YourLinkName>") and not issuefunction in linkedIssuesOf("project = VMC and issuetype = Story and status != Closed","<YourLinkName>")

But I don't know which would be faster.

ScottW January 7, 2014

Thank you. I used the script runner solution and it ran in seconds. Thank you!

Prakash November 12, 2019

Thanks for the clear comment @Udo Brand 

Suggest an answer