Search Comment field JQL

KP11
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 17, 2013

I have seen all the issues with search brackets. Is there a way to search the comment field

for these fields? It seems like the brackets cannot be searched and first column returns nothing.

Searching the project name is too generic and returns lots of issues

Project Windows Client [ 10202 ] Foundation [ 10030 ]
Key WIN-5911 FND-22846
Workflow FW Workflow 1.0 [ 202571 ] Bug/Development-Imp/Task/Testing Bug Workflow 4.1 [ 202871 ]
Bug Type Development [ 10751 ]

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 17, 2013

Sorry, what comment field for fields? What are you trying to look for here?

"Comment ~ phrase" will let you do a fuzzy search for "phrase" in comments, but I'm afraid I really don't understand the question.

KP11
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 17, 2013

I want to search comment field for the number in the brackets. 10202 and 10030 and all items in the first columns above. Searching on the bracket number is more specific than Windows Client since all text is found

Issues worked on with both projects WIN & FND and items listed in Bug Type & Workflow. Those items return no issues. Seems Workflow is notpart of comment?

Sample: comment ~ "Windows Client" AND comment ~ Workdlow AND comment ~ FND AND comment ~ Foundation AND project = FND ORDER BY updated

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 18, 2013

There are two approaches to answering this question.

1. No, you can't do this. First of all, I have no idea why you'd think you can search the comments field for data that isn't even in the comments. I'm not even sure where you're getting that data from, it actually looks like some information from an administrator's point of view, or possibly some issue history. Either way, it's a collection of separate fields, not a comment.

2. Why? The data you are looking at is specific data about an issue and the numbers are simply id's of certain things. To find the number, you'd have to find it out or know it in the first place, and if you know it, you can look it up in human more usefully.

Either way, I think you need to go back to the "why". What's the requirement? What are you looking for?

KP11
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 18, 2013

We are looking for changes in Workflow for the 2 projects and assumd they can be searched from the comment field.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 18, 2013

Hmm, well, that was a very random assumption. I'm sorry, but it's also wrong.

As far as I know, the workflow changes can't be searched. You could say "project was X and project is Y" which would capture moves of issues. But I don't think there's a way to search the workflow history, without finding or writing a plugin to provide a JQL function that does it.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 18, 2013

I'm not sure exactly from the table you posted, but I'm pretty sure it's the ID of the project.

In logical terms "Project ID = 10031" and "Project = Foundation" are the same search.

So, the numbers are not (normally) searchable, but because they represent unique objects, you can search for them by name.

KP11
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 18, 2013

What exactly do the numbers in brackest represent next to the Project name: Foundation [ 10030 ] ? Is that searchable? Seems we have many comments with the names but not when that change is in effect. Can we seach than number instead?

KP11
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 18, 2013

Also when i tried comment ~ "FW Workflow 1.0 " no results were returned/

This did not work either comment ~ "FW Workflow"

Am i missing something ? These are not comments but changes shown in the log? So none of the log can be searched under the ALL tab?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 18, 2013

I repeat, the data you have there is NOT a comment.

So you can't search comments for it because it's not in there.

Suggest an answer