Scrum v/s Kanban for Executive management team

Neeraj Tiwari March 4, 2014

Hi,

Our Executive team (upper management team's managers) - need to use one Project in JIRA to track issues that will show them progress of all issues in one page. Hence, they do not want to add lot of tasks but for those they do they just want to track its and its sub-tasks progress to the CEO and President of the company. Question is how do they acheive this? I was thinking Scrum board and telling them to treat project as versions. So, if manager A has 3 projects -- he/she will have three different versions in the project. I tought this is a good suggestion so that we can display the stats of these issues (how many to do, how many in progress, how many done) on dashboards for each team using fixed version as a filter for each manager in the team.

Also, if I want to acheive what I explained before, I think Scrum boards would be a good choice to go ahead because of it's plan mode as against Kanban. Please let me know if there is a better way to acheive what we are trying to acheive.

2 answers

1 vote
Luther Hargrove
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 5, 2014

I would do this just with components or just use the good old assignee field. You could do a pie chart on the executive dashboard that shows all open issues divided out by assignee. They can click on a piece of the pie to see all those issues and their statuses.

I think this would be the easiest way to do what you are wanting to achieve.

Neeraj Tiwari March 5, 2014

Luther,

Thanks for your reply. I believe I have to create their project as a Scrum project i.e. for acheiving what you suggested?

0 votes
Gregory Sudderth
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 5, 2014

...and you can import that into a Confluence page, that lets you make the (get ready for it) DASHBOARD of their dreams!

That way the mgmt team doesn't have to see a bunch of columns they don't care about, and they can rank it anyway they want. Some simple python can do wonders about all kinds of labor stuff.

Neeraj Tiwari March 5, 2014

Thanks Greg. I think we have a way to integrate JIRA pie charts and graphs in Confluence with the help of a plugin, correct? or is scripting the only way to acheive that?

Suggest an answer