Scrum master and scrum team member

Tom Castonzo August 4, 2015

We are moving to Scrum and I would like to be the Scrum master but I am also on the development team. What I read about Scrum suggests these roles should be handled by different people.

Is there anyone out there doing both? How is it working for you?

5 answers

1 accepted

3 votes
Answer accepted
Luca Miceli August 4, 2015

Hi Tom,

the important think is that scrum master have the right amount of time to do better it's role:

• protect the team
  • remove the impediments
  • control that the Agile Scrum process is followed in the right way

In all agile implementation I took part, Scrum Master was also involved in development process for a part of time, directly or indirectly. Checking that the team is on the right track, he sometimes actively help them to solve very difficult problems. He is committed in pair programming tasks sometimes, or he can decide to take a task from the sprint board if he has available time.

3 votes
john.pfotzer@verizonwireless.com August 4, 2015

I haven't done both, however, as a JIRA admin I have worked with our scrum masters. The best scrum masters are those who WANT to be one. I believe with your experience in the development role you will bring experience and great insight to the role. Go to youtube and search for scrum master and watch what the role is. Mostly, if you are good with people and have good communication skills you will do great!!! go for it!

1 vote
Jaime S
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 4, 2015

Hi, Tom.

I don't know what the Agile good practices say about being Scrum master and developer, but as far as JIRA Agile goes, you should be able to have both roles. 

0 votes
Malka October 24, 2019

Any follow up? How's it working out? 

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 4, 2015

I've been in teams where it it's been like that, and it can work. The place I'm thinking of had a scrum-master/developer who was very clear about which role he was in when he was speaking, and the planning and retrospectives were quite complex at times as he had to switch between them, but it did work.

Suggest an answer