Scrum board filters hide sub-task

Nathan Davis March 2, 2016

I am using a basic Scrum board with JIRA Software 7.0.10 and see all my stories and sub-task, however, when I apply a filter my sub-task aren't displayed. 

Board Filter query: project = MOBI ORDER BY Rank ASC

Quick filters applied: 

1. "Epic Link" not in (MOBILEWEB-722)
  2. labels not in (foobarbaz)

We have tried both the above where we have both an Epic Link and a Label, however, anytime we do these queries the stories are shown, but their sub-task are hidden. I want to see the sub-task too.

4 answers

0 votes
Dan Bish May 20, 2019

project = MYPROJ

AND

( 'Proj Teams' = My-Team-Name

OR

Team = My-Team-Name )

OR

issueFunction in subtasksOf("issuetype = Story

AND

( 'Proj Teams' = My-Team-Name

OR

Team = My-Team-Name)")

ORDER BY Rank ASC

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 3, 2016

I'm not sure I understand the problem.  Are you saying that your board shows you sub-tasks when you first visit it (i.e. project = MOBI), but they vanish when you apply the quickfilters?

If that is true, then I suspect it's behaving correctly - sub-tasks do not have an Epic link in the first case, so the filter drops them, and I guess they're not labelled with foobarbaz in the second.

Casey Daniell March 3, 2016

Correct, but to be more clear these were two different attempts at getting the subtask to show up.

I get (now) that the subtask don't have an Epic Link so that won't work, however, when I apply a Quick Filter of Labels not in (foobarbaz) I see my original Stories without the label, but the subtask that also don't have the label are missing. How do I show the subtask for the stories without the label?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 3, 2016

Oops, sorry, misread the second filter.  Principle should be the same though, it should only hide those sub-tasks with that label.

However, my next thought is that you've run into the problem that "a simple yes or no question" always has three possible answers.

Could you pick out a subtask that should appear and does not and experiment with it?  I think when you go to edit it, you will find that it has no labels at all.  Could you add one (not foobarbaz, but something else)?  Then refresh the board.  My expectation is that it will appear now!

Nathan Davis March 3, 2016

I think, using this article, https://answers.atlassian.com/questions/43298, we have it working now using this query:

labels not in (foobarbaz) OR ( issueFunction in subtasksOf("project = MOBI AND labels not in (foobarbaz)"))

This is getting us what we need now! Just a bit more then what we thought we had to do.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 3, 2016

Ah, good catch.  The other one I was heading towards was

labels not in (foobarbaz) or labels is empty

0 votes
Nathan Davis March 2, 2016

I see the sub-task in the normal view of the board, only when I apply the quick filter on the scrum sprint board does it disappear when trying to exclude certain tags

Michael Partyka
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 2, 2016

Maybe create a new quick filter called sub-tasks with query: issuetype=sub-task and see what will happen

0 votes
Michael Partyka
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 2, 2016

maybe try this jql:

project = MOBI AND issuetype(story, sub-task) ORDER BY Rank ASC

Casey Daniell March 3, 2016

This works, project = MOBI AND issuetype(story, sub-task) ORDER BY Rank ASC,  and always has for showing all issues on the board.

The issue is when adding a quick filter and saying don't give me any issues with a certain label I lose my subtask, which is also missing the subtask. 

It looks like JIRA is much better at doing a positive search and finding all issues with a label, then finding issues that qualify and don't contain a label. 

Suggest an answer