Scrum: How to manage sub-task that has to be done in another project?

Constantin Guay November 30, 2016

Hi,

I have one user story in Project A. To be done, this US requires some technical task, so I created sub-tasks of this US. But one of this technical task has to be performed in Project B. What is the best way to do that in Jira?

1. Create the sub-task, and use it as it is. No relation with Project B in JIRA (I don't like this as the task would not be seen in search about Project B per example.
  2. Create the sub-task, and create a linked task in Project B which will become the main task. Then, the sub-task would just act as a link between Project A and B
  3. Only create a new task on Project B, linked ("related") to the US from Project A.
  4. Another solution ... ?

What do you think? Thanks

1 answer

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 30, 2016

Scrum works off boards rather than projects, so there's another option.

For the scrum team that needs to deal with the issue, adjust their board filter.  To do this with minimal config, I'd add the really simple clause "or label = for_other_team".  Now tag the sub-task with that label, and the parent.

If that's not really going to work for you, I'd create the linked task in B and link it to the sub-task to indicate where it came from and tell the original owner you're working on it elsewhere (your option 2)

Suggest an answer