Scrum Board Create option not visible

Santosh S March 14, 2016

I have JIRA Admin rights but am not able to get option to create a Scrum/ Kanban board.

Is there a separate plug-in to be installed to get this option.

https://confluence.atlassian.com/agile/jira-agile-user-s-guide/creating-a-board

2 answers

4 votes
Michael Partyka
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 14, 2016

Hi,

• first of all you should have JIRA AGILE plugin installed

To create a new sprint:

1. Click the Agile link's down-arrow in the top navigation bar, then select your preferred board from the resulting dropdown menu.

2. Click Backlog.
  3. Click the Create Sprint button at the top of the backlog.

Why can't I create a Sprint?

• You don't have the right permissions: You can only create a new sprint if you have the 'Administer Projects' permission in all projects included in this board's backlog.
  • Ranking is not enabled: You can only create sprints, if you have enabled ranking for your board.

Note, having an active sprint will not prevent you from creating a sprint. You won't be able to start a sprint if you have one in progress though (unless you have enabled 'Parallel Sprints' in Labs).

Santosh S March 15, 2016

Hi Thanks for your response.

When I purchased JIRA license I looked at this https://www.atlassian.com/software/jira/agile. I have the cloud license activate already.

Looking at features Scrum Board is included in the cost. 

Is JIRA Agile another license to be purchase - Thanks for your help.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 15, 2016

No.

JIRA Agile is only for JIRA 6 and below.  If you are on JIRA 7, you need JIRA Software (and Agile simply will not work). 

If you are on Cloud, only JIRA 7 is available, so Agile is not an option.

bs-thomas January 5, 2017

Hmm very weird, for me, I have been using JIRA Software 7.0, all worked fine.

Then I upgraded to 7.3, and the "Board" button, or the "Agile" button, whatever you call that, it's gone from the top blue bar now.

image2017-1-5 19:16:27.png

I go create a project, the software options are all gone!!

image2017-1-5 19:17:10.png

Then I go check the add-ons, it seems to have my JIRA Agile add-on there, which is mandatory.

image2017-1-5 19:19:33.png

Any ideas why this is happening?  Really awkward...

Thanks!

Cheers,

Thomas

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 5, 2017

JIRA Agile does not work on JIRA 7 as an add-on, you need the Software application.  Please check that it's there in "manage applications"

OK, problem solved.  License has expired.  And when not active, the Agile features are disabled.

https://confluence.atlassian.com/jirakb/board-tab-in-jira-missing-jira-software-application-799801745.html

It would've been a much better experience for me, if those options were "grayed-out", and when I hover over it, telling me to "Pay Now".

Lol...

Thanks!

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 5, 2017

It is a little difficult, remembering that you have to go check applications, but people who don't have Software don't really want to see any buttons about it.

I think I'd prefer a time-bomb or user specific option.  "Show greyed out button for a fortnight after expiry" or "only show greyed out button to admins"

Agreed.  Just hiding without reason is mentally a torturing experience.  Wasted me an afternoon of a busy day knowing that it was such a bizarre reason.

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 15, 2016

They are on Cloud, so

You don't need the Agile add-on (it won't work on this version), you must have signed up for JIRA Software, not JIRA Core.  This also applies if you are on JIRA 7 - you need the JIRA Software application, not the Agile add-on.

This also means you're following the wrong documentation - try https://confluence.atlassian.com/jirasoftwarecloud/creating-a-board-764477949.html (which is written for Cloud, but pretty much valid for JIRA Software Server too)

Santosh S March 15, 2016

Thanks this helps me understand the problem on some contradictions in documentation I was reading through.
So I am Cloud version, do I need to apply the license key for JIRA to Agile and Server separately.
In looking at the documentation here - https://www.atlassian.com/software/jira/agile, I get use of scrum board at 1 cost for Cloud and i have paid that i believe. What am I missing.
Thanks for helping.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 15, 2016

On Cloud, you do not get licence keys.  They are still there, but they are handled for you by Atlassian.  You sign up for Cloud and pay for it, and they apply the keys without you ever seeing them.

On Cloud, there is no Agile add-on.  It has been converted into the "JIRA Software" application.

I am not clear on whether you have JIRA Core or JIRA Software.  There's a simple test - do you have "boards" in your menu?  If you do, then you have JIRA Software, and you can use scrum/kanban boards.  If you do not have that menu option, then you just have JIRA Core, and you will need to go to your Atlassian account (not the Cloud service, but your account at my.atlassian.com) and add the Software application.

Suggest an answer