Scrubbing Personal Data

Lathrop [PSU] March 26, 2013

Does anyone out here have a set of best practises for removing personal data from JIRA? We are looking to scrub any data that a customer may send us that would contain a password, social security number, credit card purchase information, etc..

We would like to just be able to search the database and overwrite this data when it is reported. We feel most of this data would reside in the comment or description field tables. Anyone have any experience with this?

Thank You!

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Tiago Comasseto
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 23, 2013

Hi there,

I'm not sure if this covers what you want, but you can anonymise JIRA data by going to: http://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Anonymising+JIRA+data

I hope this helps.

Cheers

Lathrop [PSU] April 23, 2013

This seems like a lot of work to have to involve the entire database for one or two entries but it could work. It is definately better than our current solution of NOTHING! I've give it a shot. Thank you for the information.

1 vote
Alex Kaufman _Enhancera_ August 21, 2016

This is probably too late for you, but I figured other people might be interested in this as well.

Our recently published PII Protector for JIRA add-on is doing exactly this. It monitors sensitive PII like credit card numbers, social security numbers, addresses, etc. stored in Atlassian JIRA, reports it, provides admins with a convenient UI to manage it, to audit access to it, and optionally to hide or to erase it.

PII Protector for JIRA is aimed to be a complete solution for PII in the organization JIRA instance.

Suggest an answer