Script Validator to Block Transition if Sub-task Status is Not Correct

David Willox August 31, 2017

Hi Guys,

Wondering if anyone out there can help me modify this script to create a validator that will block the transition of the parent item if a Sub-task is not in a specific status.

import com.atlassian.jira.component.ComponentAccessor
import com.atlassian.jira.issue.changehistory.ChangeHistory
import com.atlassian.jira.issue.history.ChangeItemBean

for(ChangeHistory changeHistory: ComponentAccessor.getChangeHistoryManager().getChangeHistories(issue)) {
    for(ChangeItemBean changeItemBean: changeHistory.getChangeItemBeans()) {
        if (changeItemBean.getField().equals("status")) {
            if(changeItemBean.getFromString().equals("Client Approved"))
            return true
        }
    }
}

return false 

Thanks as always.

Dave

1 answer

0 votes
Andy Heinzer
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
September 1, 2017

So you don't actually have to create a custom validator script to achieve this.   JIRA actually does have a workflow Condition (not a Validator) called Sub-Task Blocking Condition that you can use to block the transition of the parent issue based on the status of the subtasks of that issue.   It allows you to select the specific statuses that subtask has to be in, in order to then execute this parent's transition.

Does this help?  Sorry if it does not, just wondering if you were trying to use a custom validator for some other reason I might not have considered.

David Willox September 1, 2017

Hi Andy,

Thanks for the suggestion. I am aware of this condition type. The reason I want to see if a validator is possible is because When a condition is not met the transition button does not appear. This lack of info can be confusing to some users. So I want the button to be visible, but if sub-tasks are not in the specified status an error message will be displayed with instructions on what they need to do.

Thanks

Marq Herrod December 19, 2022

Hey @David Willox  did you ever find and/or come up w/ a solution for how to do this?

I'm struggling to solve precisely this scenario and I've tried multiple other options including automations, post-functions, etc... All to no avail thanks to how Jira Cloud only fires the listener after all conditions/validators are run, meaning the issue gets blocked before any real-time notification can be displayed.

Best I've come up with thus far is this automation below that drops a comment on the issue after the transition is blocked which I'm now contemplating turning into an email to the user instead...image.png

Suggest an answer