Script Runner get and calculate Values from Issues linked to Epic

Daniela Scheiwe
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 26, 2017

Hi, I have Epics and "normal" issues with custom fields that hold some numbers,

I want to add another custom field to the epic that shows a calculated value based on values from the epic and its linked issues. 

I do know how to do the calculation, but I can't figure out how to get the list of linked (through epic link!) issues.

All I found was either using the normal issuelinks function or some old greenhopper code.

Any help with that?

In short, I need

-Get all tasks with epic-link = currentTask
-Get customFieldValue1 from these tasks
-Calculate against customFieldValue1 from currentTask
-Store result to customField2 in currentTask

1 answer

0 votes
Tarun Sapra
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 26, 2017

You can use searchService class - https://developer.atlassian.com/static/javadoc/jira/latest/reference/com/atlassian/jira/bc/issue/search/SearchService.html 

You can supply a JQL query as a parameter for the method  - parseQuery(ApplicationUser searcher, String query)

Once you get the parseResult Object, you cna get the query() and invoke the method-

search(ApplicationUser searcher, Query query, PagerFilter pager)

This will return the issues which satisfy the original jql search query - "Epic Link" = "XYZ-123" thus you will now have list of issues with the epic link as the epic key and the epic itself.

Tarun Sapra
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 26, 2017

And once you have all the issue objects then you can easily fetch the values of the  fields and do the calculation whcih you want.

Suggest an answer