Screens from projects not associated with a field configuration scheme show up as associated to a field configuration

Celeste Plaisance January 16, 2014

We used project configurator to import several projects from another office in our organization. Those projects do not use our projects' field configuration schemes. However, after the import, screens from that other office's projects now show up as associated to various system-provided fields in our existing projects' field configurations. Should we disassociate those screens and just ensure that they are associated to those system-provided fields in their own projects' field configuration schemes?

So far, I can't get a straight answer out of Atlassian support on whether or not it is normal for projects not using a field configuration scheme to have their screens show up as associated to system-provided fields in a field configuration.

Thank you ahead of time for any answers/guidance.

1 answer

0 votes
Celeste Plaisance January 16, 2014

I'm thinking that it's just the approach Atlassian took for the field configurations -- every field configuration in the system shows the UNIVERSE of fields available in the system and ALL of the screen associations with both the custom fields and the system-provided fields.

José Marañón [Awnaba Software S.L.]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 16, 2014

Yes, you are right. When a custom field is created, JIRA adds it to all field configurations, because every configuration shows all fields in the system, either system or custom.

The configuration detail page also shows for each field in which screens it is used. However, this is something independent of the field configuration. I think it is shown in that page only as an aid for the admin who is configuring the system, so you need not worry about it.

Take into account that the field will appear in a given screen only if it is visible in the applicable field configuration (for the given project and issue type) AND it is contained in the screen.

Suggest an answer