Screen's assignee field would have "Automatic" as default option.

dhaval soni
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 19, 2013

I have created a screen which contains "Assignee" field.

Now, when this screen popup then, Assignee field shows default user as current logged in user.
(i want to keep default assign with "Automatic" option OR assign to post condition's user ).
Reason, i have added a post condition so, in pop up , it shows some other user and after executing post condition, issue gets assign accordingly.

Thanks.

5 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
dhaval soni
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 1, 2013

Hi Atsang,

it works as below only:

if assignee post condition is created in workflow then, no need to keep "assignee" field in dialog/transition screen because, post condition will execute everytime and override the assignee by follow related post condition. so, actually, no any sense to keep assignee field in dialog as it can't function.

So, remove "Assignee" field from dialog screen if post condition is created.

Thanks.

Angell April 1, 2013

@dhaval, well, yeah obviously if you want to take away any choice from a user, then that is fine. But if you want to give the user the optional ability to manually assign a ticket in a special circumstance, then it becomes a problem. Using the "unless user selects an Assignee in the transition screen" post function override option allows for choice, but it is all ruined by the fact that the default value is set to the current user and not "Automatic", resulting in the ticket always being assigned to themselves.

My current solution is as you suggested: I've taken away any choice from the user at that moment of transition by not showing the Assignee field. Then I simply hope that the user attempts to assign the ticket to the correct person after all the transition has finished.

dhaval soni
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 1, 2013

We would remove the assignee field from dialog and keep post condition. Now, after complete the transition, user can take care to change assignee in special case where require. :)

Yes, Assignee field - automatic and post condition works gather then it could be better but it's not.

0 votes
Angell April 1, 2013

I too suffer from this apparently recent change in JIRA OnDemand.

Previous default "Assignee" value - "Automatic"
Current default "Assignee" - the current assignee

Using the JIRA workflows plugin, I'm using the postfunction "Assign the issue to the last user from the QA role who had this issue assigned before , or who reported it (unless user selects an Assignee in the transition screen) ."

This postfunctions gives the user the power to directly assign a ticket on transition, but otherwise if they leave the assignee as-is, it will then follow my post function rule. However, with the change to default, it will ALWAYS override my post function rule and go directly to the assignee and not the QA group.

0 votes
Henning Tietgens
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 19, 2013

Ok.. If the user should have the possibility to choose an assignee, and if not, the issue should be assigned to a specific user (other than the default), this could be solved with the Script Runner plugin. But I think it's not available for OnDemand...

0 votes
dhaval soni
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 19, 2013

apologies for confusion.

I mean, my created screen contains "Assignee" field, here i want to default assign as "Automatic" user instead of any specific user. Because, there is a post condition added to related transition which assign this issue to specific user of a role.

And when dialog screen popup then it shows some other user in screen and after completing dialog (closing), issue gets updated by post condition to assign another user as follow the post condition. so, creates bit confusion for mismatch the selected user and assignee user after issue gets created.

0 votes
Henning Tietgens
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 19, 2013

Mmh, sorry, I don't understand the question. In your transition screen the assignee is prepopulated with the current user if the assignee is not the current user?

Suggest an answer