Screen Tab doesn't display correct fields on new project suspect corrupt fields?

Gretchen Jones November 1, 2012

I'm looking for suggestions/techniques for correcting this.

I have two projects that use the same screens, the same screen schemes, the same workflows, the same issue type screen schemes. I suspect someone has been jacking around with the screens and possibly corrupted something. They look fine in the screen editor, but when we create a new ticket on a newly created project, it is displaying only one or two fields (one of which is the comments field that shouldn't even be there I think and missing three fields above the link field). The existing project looks fine, displaying fields as it always has.

I've seen similar things to this before usually involving custom fields that are misconfigured (licensing, or some other thing that causes the field to be broken) but I don't think that applies in this case. I've tried moving fields around and nothing changed.

Here is the screen that shows up incorrectly see that business description(story), background and Justification fields are missing from above Attachment. (on the Configure Fields drop down there are no fields being hidden (display all).).

Here is the same screen on a project that is displaying correctly.

Here's the new project configuration for the two projects that are shown side by side :

So based on the configuration being the same for these elements shouldn't the same fields display on similar types of issue types for the same action type (edit, create, etc.)

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 1, 2012

To get fields to appear, you need to check

1. The screens involved (I think you've covered this - screen schemes and issue type screen schemes etc)
  2. The field configurations (you can hide/show fields here)
  3. The field context (on the list of custom fields, you can say "show field in project X, for issue type Y" and it won't appear on other project/issues, even if it's on the screens and shown in the field configuration)

I'd say it's almost certainly the third one - your fields only belong to project 1 and not the others.

(Note - you also mention workflows - those are not related to field visibility)

Gretchen Jones November 1, 2012

You are awesome and I am a fool for configuring it this way. Unfortunately it's probably the safest way to do it given we have 200 projects and three of them use these fields. It would be far better to have them applied globally but I'm askeered to make that change and face the wrath of the other 200 project owners. Thank you so much for saving me from the wrath of my 3 project users.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 1, 2012

No, not a fool. It's a complicated system, and there's loads of different ways to do things. It's very flexible, but that leads to complexity in looking after it, and it's bewildering. Fields and "why doesn't field X appear when Y" is not easy.

I trip over it all the time, despite <mumble> years as an admin. There's a well-worn and very faded post-it note on my main desk that says "Remember to check screens, field config and context", and I still need it.

Suggest an answer