Scheduled tasks time/resources limit?

Valentin Borlea December 16, 2013

Hello all,

Is there a time limit for the execution of a scheduled task?

I want to make some complex operations, which involves the iteration through all the issues from Jira (aprox. 65000) and saving some data into an external database. I would like to know if such a task can successfully complete and if there is a risk to crash Jira?

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
richie_gee
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
December 26, 2013

Timothy made a point here, as long as there is no out of memory issue then it should be fine.

Just another friendly advice, try not to schedule the task at your peak hour as your database is being constantly accessed. Schedule the task to be executed on the graveyard hour and perhaps once every day/week. Do not run on every minute or 10 minute, this process will cause other scheduled task not to be executed on time and delayed.

Also ensure from your database logs, whether does it have some slow queries (taking approximate more than 100 seconds to complete). If yes, then you might encounter performance issue when the schedule task is running. You can verify that from the thread dump.

0 votes
Timothy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 16, 2013

Is there a time limit for the execution of a scheduled task?

As long as you don't run OOM, I can't see why it wont work.

Suggest an answer