Schedule project or filter report charts to be sent via email

Ed Williams October 31, 2013

What I want to do: send an Average Age Report (including the chart image) to our company via email every day.

The problem: I haven't found a way to get this data or this chart image via the public JIRA api.

My solution:

1. Make a chrome extension that loads the report page.

2. The chrome extension gets the chart off the page, converts it to base64 and sends the info back to my server.

3. My server then takes that and emails it to all the people.

My solution is bad... but what's the real way to do this?

3 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Tanner Wortham
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 31, 2013

i often use subscription to filters to nudge along various disciplines in the org but never used data from some of the widgets. interesting problem. frankly, i don't think you can out of the box. my best solution would be to look into this addon. it got some mention at the Atlassian Summit this year, and if they haven't already implemented such functionality, they would likely be interested in doing so if you approach them.

Ed Williams October 31, 2013

Yea, it didn't look like its possible to do out of the box... thanks for verifying :)

0 votes
Aron Gombas [Midori] March 10, 2015

To extend Ferenc's answer, JIRA PDF View Plugin 3.5.0 supports exporting dashboards and gadgets!

You can now freely export the Average Age gadget (see the rightmost box in the sample PDF) and email that automatically with the PDF Automation Plugin.

Links:

jira-dashboard-pdf.png

0 votes
Midori
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 26, 2014

Solve this with the combination of the JIRA Automation Plugin and the PDF Automation Plugin for JIRA.

1. Set up a CRON based trigger to execute an action (see next) every morning, according to your preferred schedule.
  2. Select the "Send PDF" action (provided by the PDF Automation Plugin) to generate a PDF document from a custom template (see next) and send that to the email addresses you select.
  3. Develop a simple PDF template that displays the Average Age chart. (It will require you to write some Groovy script, but it should be fairly easy.)

You can email us any time at info[at]midori-global.com with your questions!

Finally, your report could look like this:

Suggest an answer