Safely removal of shadow users

Peter Friberg December 17, 2012

Until now, we have used Jira Internal Directory for user management of all users.

I did now add a Microsoft Active Directory (Read Only, with Local Groups), and given that the highest priority.

This directory contain all company users. The usernames are the same as in the internal directory.

Now I want to remove all internal users that now have became shadow duplicates of those in the new Microsoft AD Directory.

However, I don't want to remove/disable the internal directory, because that contain all customer users, admin user, and some inbox accounts. Those shall remain internal.

I suppose I need to run a delete query on the db, and I need advise in order to do a safe removal.

3 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Peter Friberg January 6, 2013

Thanks! As I thought.

I think I need to do the db delete. Otherwise the effect may be that internal accounts turns active again, if corresponding AD accounts are removed or changed.

1 vote
Antonio August 1, 2019

delete records from this tables, in this order:

select cwd_membership.* from cwd_membership inner join
(
select id from cwd_user where user_name in (
select user_name from cwd_user group by user_name having count(user_name)>1
)
and directory_id in (select id from cwd_directory where directory_type='INTERNAL')
and user_name not like '%admin%'
order by directory_id,user_name
)a on child_user_id=a.id;

select cwd_user_attribute.* from cwd_user_attribute
inner join
(
select id from cwd_user where user_name in (
)
and directory_id in (select id from cwd_directory where directory_type='INTERNAL')
)a on user_id=a.id;

select * from cwd_user where user_name in (
)
order by user_name;

0 votes
Janet Albion
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 1, 2013

Hi Peter,

Since the username in the AD is the same as in the Internal Directory, I would say that it is safe to ignore the duplicate users in the internal. If you would like to remove them in the db manually, note that deleting from the DB is not really recommended nor supported.

If you really like to remove the shadow user manually from the database, test it first in the staging environment and make sure to backup the database.

Generally, the tables that you would need to look into are:

• cwd_users
  • cwd_memberships
  • cwd_directory

eg:

delete from cwd_user where user_name='user' and directory_id=<internal_directory_id>;

delete from cwd_membership where child_name='user' and directory_id=<internal_directory_id>;

Suggest an answer