SVN subversion plug-in configuration

Kjell Ims September 10, 2012

I'm running a pilot project on my laptop where I have a Visual SVN server instance running, as well as JIRA. I have installed the JIRA subversion plug-in and configured it for both the online JIRA testrepo and my own repository, they both show as "active" in the plug-in admin view, but commits with issue tags in the commit comments do not show up for either repository.

I'm pretty sure it is me doing something silly with the configuration, but after days, I'm at a loss. I made two screen-shots, one of the JIRA plug-in configuration page and one of a web-browser accessing my svn trunk to show that its up and the address, but I'm not sure how to share those screen-shots with you. --> Shared via DropBox
https://www.dropbox.com/s/rf4lf0gnt8hlfu7/JIRA%20support%202.png
https://www.dropbox.com/s/kr1iirqvjys1zh0/JIRA%20support%201.png

If anyone could provide some insight that would be great.. I need to figure this out so I can confidently roll out on our domain server.

5 answers

1 accepted

3 votes
Answer accepted
Kjell Ims September 11, 2012

It now works, but I found several un-clear pieces of information in the install notes on the plugin web-page. My biggest grief is that there are no instructions about how to determine actual location of a folder. To me, listing a location as "$JIRA_HOME" does very little.. even a single sentence hint about how to resolve such addressing would be helpful. I realise that most people who administrate this type of software would probably know.. but I didn't.

unclear/incorrect? -->

It notes "In JIRA 4.4 and above, this is set in $JIRA_HOME/jira-config.properties" --> my install of latest JIRA this file does not exist.. The "home folder" can be seen by logging on as administrator, and under "system" drop down select "General Configuration" and scroll towards the bottom.

Since that file did not exist, I edited and added the line to the jira-application.properties file instead, despite the warnings in that file. (The line I added is: jira.option.ignore.url.with.key=false) (For good measure I created a text file named jira-config.properties with that line as well, but I did this AFTER the service had been restarted, so I'm not sure if that is why my svn link is now working?)

The instructions also make a huge point about how you have to check that "the current user has the View Version Control" permission, however, when I go to look at the default project permission scheme and the global permission schemes, there is NO SUCH OPTION.. So how can I configure this? -this is still, true, even now when I CAN see the revisions as a normal user, there is still no option to configure "View Version Control" as a permission?

I also deleted the folder where the svn revisions are stored. I tried just deleting the files (one section of the instructions say to delete the files and restart), but just deleting the files did nothing. Deleting the folder, along with the file edit desrcibed above plus a re-start was what finally fixed it for me.

1 vote
Jay Chang
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 14, 2013

I am having the same problem and could not see "View Version Control" permission. How was this problem resolved?

0 votes
Christian Czaia _Decadis AG_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 10, 2012

Hey,

so you don't even see the tab on your view issue screen? . If you select your default permission scheme it should look sth. like my attached screenshot.

There you should select the view version control and "add" yourself or a group you belong to...

Attached are two screen shots, one for my global permissions screen, and one from my Permission Schemes - Default Permission scheme, I do not have the option you have circled in my list.. by the way, I really appreciate your time here!

And since pictures are a thousand words, if I go to a project view, I have an error message for the test repo and a "no subversion entries for this issue yet" on one of my real projects. Note: I have multiple svn comitts with "THERMVIEW-1" as part of the commit comment/description.

Also, now when I go to the subversion page, I have an error message on the QOREX trunk configuration: Status: Inactive (svn: E160006: No such revision 141337 svn: E175002: PROPFIND of '/svn/main_trunk/!svn/vcc/default': 500 Internal Server Error (https://kjellims-laptop.qorex.com))

I really think it must have something to do with some tags/fields in the setup or the address to the trunk. In my first post, I show that if I navigate to the /svn/main_trunk and log in, I see my repo, I use the same user name qorex\Kjell Ims and password to log in via the web-browser as I used when I configured the plug-in.

0 votes

Hey Christian, thats what I tried first, but it didn't work so I tried to change it to what is in the screen shot, but that also doesn't work.

The other thing is, when I go to Permission Schemes -> Add Permissions, the "view version control permission" is not in the drop-down list of permissions to choose from, so maybe that is/was the only problem I have?

How can I add that permission to my default permission Schemes? Do I need to edit a file to get this value in the drop-down box?

0 votes
Christian Czaia _Decadis AG_
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 10, 2012

Hey, I thought the demo repository root was:??

https://studio.plugins.atlassian.com/svn/SVN/samplerepo/

Suggest an answer