SSO hooks?

Armin Tangelder August 24, 2016

Is there documentation or white paper or anything I can read about the SSO possibilities of JIRA software/Servicedesk.

We we want the portal to be incorporated within our own tool community and we need to devise a method of working.

But it is a must that this is supported in a hybrid method so we can have normal and AD accounts mix otherwise we will get real busy administering all users... This is unwanted. 

3 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 24, 2016

You can't do it on Cloud, as Cloud does not support external directories.  (There was some noise about maybe having external AD directories to provide customer accounts, but I don't know if that's even started yet)

On Server, you can integrate all sorts of things.  AD is a good start, and you can build SSO on that.

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 29, 2016

What is the underlying user directory?

Armin Tangelder August 29, 2016

Currently we have 3 user dirs sad

• Moodle contains people that get a education
  • Drupal for the community entrance
  • AD for own employees with a certain set of rights within Drupal.

JIRA has it's users in his own database so actually when I count again it is in 4 different location.

You can imagine the straight to keep this in sync.

And due to lack of knowledge we are struggling to make the right decision.

So I'm looking for some sort of white paperisch document that can help us sort this issue we are dealing with

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 30, 2016

Well, JIRA at least can use other directories, as long as it's server and not cloud.  (For Cloud, forget it, your only workable option is to convert the others to use Google accounts that you can then reuse in JIRA)

If you've got AD, then you could easily use it for JIRA Server.  I understand it works with Drupal as well, but I don't know about Moodle (I've used it, but not looked under the hood)

0 votes
Armin Tangelder August 29, 2016

Thank you, 

Sorry for the late answer... 

Leaves me wondering, if we have it on server or managed services is JIRA Software is the lead in the SSO? Or, as the community is based on Drupal, if that  can be the lead in the single point of definition. 

Maybe this is a bit out of the league for this forum. As it involves a third party product.
But any help is appreciated.

Just to give a simple sketch of the solution we need/are looking at.

Main site is Drupal, and contains several underlaying echelons of our organisation:

• Main entrance/frontpage (Drupal)
  • Documentation (Drupal)
  • Academy (Moodle) 
  • Ticketing (We are looking at JIRA ServiceDesk working now with TopDesk)
  • Consultancy (Joomla/Moodle/Drupal)

We want to have a single sign on system implemented and most of the accounts are currently in Drupal and Moodle. Depending on the type request. 

So I would like to have the JIRA ServiceDesk Portal be our front page. And than direct people to all needed information in all underlaying systems. Confluence will help in this as well.

We are really puzzling around with this. Any idea's?

thanks in advance 

Bruno Vincent
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 13, 2016

Maybe you should consider Atlassian Crowd. This would provide you with SSO and the opportunity to keep your 3 user directories as they are today (1 LDAP connector for AD users, 2 custom directory connectors for Moodle and Drupal users).

Suggest an answer