SSL Connection Error

Paul Nichols April 2, 2014

I'm trying to install JIRA and configure it to use SSL. I got through the instructions for creating a self-signed certificate (this is a test instance only). When I run the Jira configuration tool and check certificate, it seems to display correctly (as far as I know--this is new to me).

Loading the page, however (in Chrome) gives me `SSL connection error: Unable to make a secure connection to the server. This may be a problem with the server, or it may be requiring a client authentication certificate that you don't have.`

Firefox gives me: `An error occurred during a connection to 10.201.49.128:8100.

SSL received a record that exceeded the maximum permissible length.

(Error code: ssl_error_rx_record_too_long)`

2 answers

0 votes
Andris Grinbergs
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 2, 2014

Ensure that you are connecting to https://server:8443/.

Maybe you use proxy, and it don't have 8443 port allowed.

0 votes
Pedro Souza
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 2, 2014

Hello,

I would recommend you to try acessing locally from your JIRA server (typing localhost:port on the server browser) and check if you will face the same behaviour, then check the $JIRA_Install/logs/catalina.out file, it will contain more clues around the issue.

Depending on the information that you find on the log file, you can check some troubleshooting tips for self signed certificates as described on this page: Troubleshooting

I believe you will find the resolution on that page.

If it didn't help, please, attach the information from the logs, so I can further assist you on the troubleshooting.

Cheers,

Pedro Souza.

Suggest an answer