SSL-Certificate / HTTPS Question (Confused by Jira-Documentation)

Björn Nawrath August 27, 2011

Hello,

i obtained an SSL-Certificate by my Hoster of the VPS (Win 2008 R2) where i installed the latest Jira Standalone Version. Everything is working fine on Port 80 with an MySQL-Database.

But when reading the Jira-Documentation about installing a SSL-Cert and change the protocol to HTTPS i have a few questions:

Where do i have to import the my-url.cer file, where the intermidiate certificate? The docu contains C:\Users\(username)\.keystore and Install-dir\...\security\cacerts ... what is which File for, whats the difference?

Thanks for Answer in advance!

1 answer

1 vote
Martin Stiborsky August 28, 2011

Hello,

If I'm not totally wrong, you have to import your my-url.cer and intermediate certificate from certificate authority into your created keystore = username/.keystore.

Then you will point to this keystore from Jira SSL configuration (conf/server.xml).

security/cacerts is Java truststore, where are stored trusted certificates, like CA certificates, etc.

Björn Nawrath August 29, 2011

Hi,

now i know where to import it; also understand the errormessage, that Jira (or the embedded tomcat) hasn't found the C:\.keystore File. But also when adding the myurl.cer Certificate nothing has changed. I noticed, that the Certificate isn't enough, and found an ".pem"-File, which contains the my-url-Cert, the intermidiate and the RSA Key. But when importing this i get the error, that it isn't in the X509-format... While searching the web I found this article but cant adapt this workaround to my problem.

http://www.agentbob.info/agentbob/79-AB.html

Kind regards.

SimonS
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 11, 2013

If this is still an issue for you, our support team can help you out over at support.atlassian.com

Suggest an answer