SOAP : create issue type

AbrahamA
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 24, 2012

Hi

Is it possible to create IssueTypes remotely using SOAP.

I did not find a method to create issue types in Soap service. Here is what I have ...

private static void testCreateIssueType(JiraSoapService jiraSoapService, String token)
            throws RemoteException
    {
		RemoteIssueType rist = new RemoteIssueType();
		rist.setName("soapremoteissuetype");
		rist.setDescription("This is issue type created by soap");
	jiraSoapService.create

}

A related question, can we create screens and screen schemes using SOAP.

Thanks for your help.

Abe

3 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 24, 2012

No.

This is a really simple one to answer actually - read the SOAP API docs and if you can't find a function that does it in there, then you can't do it with SOAP. See http://docs.atlassian.com/rpc-jira-plugin/latest/com/atlassian/jira/rpc/soap/JiraSoapService.html

Of course, if you write your own plugin to provide a SOAP service, you can add/extend functions in that and then use them remotely.

AbrahamA
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 24, 2012

Thanks for the answer Nic.

I am trying to merge my jira instances and creating a program to do the merge.

I can now see that Priorities, IssueTypes, Screens, ScreenSchemes cannot be created using SOAP. Any ideas how this can be done programatically?

Please let me know.

Thanks

Abe

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 25, 2012

Create your own SOAP interface, look at using REST to do it, or even scripting with plain http(s) posting to admin screens.

Write plugins that can do the work internally (e.g. an admin function to import a list from your data source), or can read remote Jira systems and synchronise their issue type lists.

However, for issue types, I'd think about how much work it really is to do it by hand - if you've got 20 issue types to add and it's a one off, do you really want to put in that much effort to do something that's going to take you 20 minutes to plough through?

0 votes
Renjith Pillai
Rising Star
Rising Star
December 25, 2012

Do everthing manually once, check out the HTTP POST requests and use wget to automate this. Do not forget to store the cookies and also to pass the extra token parameter in the requests (you can get the token in the cookie)

0 votes
Zul NS _Atlassian_
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
December 24, 2012
rist.setIssueType(IssueTypeID); Where the IssueTypeID can be found in Issues > Issue Types, and check the Edit link. For example, the default ID for Improvement issue type is 4.
AbrahamA
Rising Star
Rising Star
December 24, 2012

Hi Zulfadli

Thanks for response.

I would like to create new IssueType, why would I need to set an existing issuetypeid.

Please let me know.

Thanks

Abe

Zul NS _Atlassian_
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
December 25, 2012

Ahh I must have misunderstood you. I thought you wanted to create issue with specifiying issue type. Sorry

Suggest an answer