SMTP replace email transfer plug-in

SU HWAN JU November 9, 2014

Dear atlassian engineer,

I want to know about smtp workaround, my company doesn't permit SMTP connection because of security issue.

I can send e-mail with internal program which doesn't use standard protocol for sending e-mail.

If JIRA support external program with parameter or input file base for sending e-mail.

Can you give information about it?  I need plug-ins or workaround it.

Thanks for your help in advance.

Best regards,

Kenneth.

1 answer

1 vote
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 9, 2014

No, you'll need to write additional functions to enable JIRA to send by non-standard mail protocols.

SU HWAN JU November 10, 2014

Hello Nic Brough,

Thank for your answer to my question, I have additional questions about SMTP interface.

Is JIRA SMTP I/F making temperary file in JIRA Web-server?

I try to use daemon program, if JIRA SMTP transfer program make temporary file.

Can you give more detail archtecture about JIRA SMTP interface?

Best regards,

Kenneth

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 10, 2014

No, the work is done in memory, as it should be. I'm not sure you need to care about the details of JIRA to SMTP, it's a standard protocol and JIRA uses standard mail libraries to get the mail sent. If you need to do something differently, then the architecture is irrelevant because you need to replace the whole thing, not part of it. In fact, your best option is to forget it. Your companies lack of support for SMTP is, well, to be polite about it, stupid. They should support it as it's a useful standard. The next best option is to forget the idea of doing it in JIRA. Create a simple mail server that JIRA can send standard decent SMTP mail to, then hack that so that it translates into whatever awkward mail protocol you need to use.

SU HWAN JU November 10, 2014

I know SMTP policy is stupid in my company(Samsug Electronics), but my company had experience several times of secure data's leak.

So Security policy was made that kind of policy, Changeing of security policy is impossible.

If JIRA can support temprary email sending file in server area, I can easily implementation in our site. Currently, My company purchases 10,000+ users Jira, and additional I try to review Confluence/FishEye/Bamboo. If I can't solve this problem, I should have to cancel Atlassian solution review and purchase plan.

Can you escalate this issue to high level manager?

Thank for your help in advance.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 10, 2014

Dumping emails out to file is simply not supported inside Jira. It has a *standard* secure email transport system and there's absolutely no need to do anything else. * Until you run into a daft "security" policy ;-) ) What I've been trying to point out is that you have two basic options 1. Replace the whole SMTP sub-system in Jira 2a. Accept SMTP 2b. Accept SMTP but have something that bodges it into another non-standard form. Run an SMTP service on the Jira server and ring fence it to only accept mail from the local machine, and then modify the output of that into a suitable format for your supposedly secure mail system.

Suggest an answer