SLAs for imported tickets

Dept April 10, 2015

We have been using JIRA Service Desk since the first release and are now running 2.3.5.  When we first started using Service Desk we imported tickets via CSV with their created and resolved dates set correctly from our original issue tracking system.  We have only recently become interested in SLAs but are facing a problem with these imported tickets.

Essentially the SLA timers keep running on all imported tickets, including those which were imported as Resolved.  We have several thousand imported tickets and so it is significantly skewing our statistics.

I believe our problem is that a SLA timer will only occur on an event, such as "Entered Status: Resolved".  These events haven't happened for imported tickets, how can we fix this so that our SLAs become meaningful?

4 answers

0 votes
Satish_Kumar July 10, 2016

If the tickets are that old, then one workaround is to exempt them from SLAs (Using JQL in goals of SLA definition) ?

0 votes
Mark Lock April 24, 2015

We had this issue too. Couple of workarounds I have discovered seem to work.

Set multiple stop conditions, ie resolved and closed statuses - it may be your imported issues never entered resolved, but are marked as "closed" or similar

or add a created after condition to your jql to filter out imported issues.

Vincent Naudion May 5, 2020

hi @Mark Lock could you provide an example of condition which will stop SLA counter on CSV import? I've tried several case but nothing affects.

Thanks a lot.

0 votes
Dept April 11, 2015

@TAS what you suggest appears to be what is happening, the trigger for these imported tickets is never fired.  If we open and then close an imported ticket then the timers are stopped, but when bulk transitioning all these tickets the SLA is well and truly exceeded - some of our tickets that were imported were from 2008, the SLA is then calculated from 2008 to the date of transition not the date of the closing of the ticket.

What configuration information would be helpful? We are currently using the default SLA start/stop/pause conditions (eg for the Time to Resolution stopping on Entered Status: Resolved).

0 votes
teilor_soares
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 10, 2015

Is hard to tell exactly how to solve your problem without seeing the tickets you imported and the configurations you have to calculate SLAs, but I think this problems is happening because this tickets never fired the action which stops the SLA time.

If you reopen one of this tickets and close it again, it will the SLA counter stop? And if the reporter add a new comment to the ticket?

One possible solution to this problem would be a bulk edit in this tickets do fire the action which stops the SLA counter.

We already have a bug report regarding this odd behavior in https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JSD-1221

If you need to share you configurations to achieve this bulk edit (if possible), I would recommend to you to open a ticket in our support channel.

Cheers!
Regards

Suggest an answer