SDLC Process implementation using JIRA

Nayandeep Saha June 7, 2012

Hi,

I am going to maintain my SDLC using JIRA. For this I am treating the project components as the the SDLC Phases (Requirement, Design, Devlopemnet ect.). For the ganuler level task types like prototyping or storyboarding or coding I have created issueTypes like prototyping, storyboarding and coding. To map the project type(e.g J2ee or ERP) I am sing the Project Category attribute of JIRA. Please advise if this approach makes sense.

3 answers

3 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 28, 2012

I have to agree with Harry. The workflows in Jira are representations of PROCESS. As such, you want your issues to represent things to be worked on, they move through a process/workflow, changing status as they do. Your status should be things like "defining requirements", "in design", "under development".

Your issue types are more reasonable, they represent tasks that need doing although it may be a little difficult because you may have one "task" that may need to change types.

Your use of project category is spot-on.

Components are, well, components - they're attributes or objects associated with an issue.

0 votes
Shawn Thiel April 15, 2015

Here is a capture of the workflow that I am currently using that semi follows the waterflow SDLC.  I am open to suggestions and comments on how I could better this flow as well.

JIRA Projects Workflow.JPG

0 votes
Harry Chan
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 28, 2012

Hi, I think the SDLC Phases should be your statuses of an issue type. SDLC is essentially a particular type of workflow that you need to create. These are not components. Components are categories.

Suggest an answer