SCRUM team with different sice. How does it affect the scheduling

Anders Persson May 24, 2017

I have a team that started small and then we have increased the numeber of people. How should I manage that in the JIRA Portfolia (Cloud version)? 

I can not find any way to set the capacity in a SPRINT so that the forecaster is able to calculate that I use a larger team. Or is that automatically done by comparing the team size, avaiable hours, at different times?

When starting it was 2 persons in the team and now it is 5. Does JIRA portfolia autmiatcally increase the estimated velocity due to the increase of persons?

1 answer

0 votes
Eva Kasiak May 25, 2017

Hi Anders

why not simply use existing features inside JIRA Software for estimates. Start from the concept of user stories which are given estimates (level of effort) by all team  members during the planning meeting. Assuming you've 5 members each work full time it gives you 800 hrs/month worth of work and 200 hr/week of capacity. From there you will have original estimates (once all team members commence planning poker and indicate average level of effort for the issue), you then set up priorities (refine the backlog) and finally based on the priorities you take cards to create sprint = 200 hrs/week because this is your team capacity. 

Portfolio is good when you have multiple ongoing complex projects, shared teams etc. Based on what you wrote I would question if portfolio is good for you (if it wouldn't overcomplicate the work).

Anders Persson May 25, 2017

Well, I tried to focus at a smaller problem not presenting the complete project organizsation. 

I am very familiar with what you write, My point is that my teams velocity has changed and I want to know if JIRA, in general, handle that in any way or if I need to do the estimate of the number of SPRINTs needed to complete my project. For example.

SPRINT 1: 100 h capacity, velocity 80h

SPRINT 2: 200 h capacity, velocity 2100h

SPRINT 3: 250 h capacity, velocity 230h

SPRINT 4: 200 h capacity, velocity 180h

SPRINT 5: 300 h capacity, velocity 250h

Above the historical capacity and velocity that we have had. Then I want to predict how many SPRINTs I need to complete the project when I expect the capacity to be:

SPRINT 6: 250 h capacity

SPRINT 7: 250 h capacity

SPRINT 8: 250 h capacity

SPRINT 9: 250 h capacity

SPRINT 10: 250 h capacity

If I have an alterantive to increase the capacity to 300 h, I would like to see what happens then.

Can JIRA help me with that or does JIRA only handle it if I have the same capacity, e.g. fixed team?

Eva Kasiak May 25, 2017

ok got it I guess in this scenario it is easier to use Portfolio or https://tempo.io/products/tempo-planner/ as it may be tricky to get this predictibility achieve in out of the box JIRA

Anders Persson May 25, 2017

Thanks, but is portfolio able to handle that the capacity is changing and that in turn means that the velociy is more complex to calculate?

Suggest an answer