Running script from Jira

Alex Shmakov September 6, 2017

Hi
We have Jira Service Desk in our company and i got to make something like:
After someone creating a specific ticket, Jira running script(.bat .cmd PowerShell)
that restarting a service on one of the servers.

All i got is: 
I created a specific issue type on customer portal and write a powershell script that cheking(every minute) if there is service request created in last minute, and if it's True script restarting service(IIS for example)

Is there a simpliest way to do this?
p.s. Sorry for my English

1 answer

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 6, 2017

This is something you should do from outside JIRA.

Your powershell script that runs every minute can interrogate JIRA over REST, asking it if there are any new requests of a certain type, and then restarting if it finds an appropriate one.

I woud make it a bit more clever than just that, I would get it to update the issue as well, to say the service was automatically restarted, and then I would exclude the those updates from the search.  That way, you won't miss any issues if the minute loop goes off time, you won't be re-starting services more than once by accident, and your users will be updated.

Dane Kantner April 19, 2018

I do this type of thing w/ Jenkins specifically. Though Rundeck might be worth looking at.

Alex Shmakov April 24, 2018

Sounds interesting, thanks for advice

Suggest an answer