Running multple Atlassian aplications on 1 server

Jan Joensen October 7, 2017

Hello

We have installed JIRA with MS Sql  on 2 servers and that works fine.

But now we would like to use other application shown below

Confluence, bambo, bitbucket and crucible.

Is it recommended to install all applications on the same server as JIRA software or should we install 5 different servers ?

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 7, 2017

There is no single firm recommendation on this.

You can put more than one Atlassian application on a server.  As long as that server has the resources to run each of them.  The only risk of doing it is that a single server is a single point of failure, and if something goes wrong, it can affect all of the services.

In my experience, most places tend to use separate servers for each application, or at most, pairs.  For example "Server 1 with Jira and Confluence, Server 2 running Bitbucket and Bamboo, Server 3 Subversion and Fisheye/Crucible"

I doubt you have a server powerful enough to run all of them in one place though.  Even the example I gave, server 1 is the most powerful one in the stack, but it's a pretty standard off-the-shelf hardware.  Server 2 and 3 were less powerful.  When they proposed putting everything on the same server, the recommended hardware bill doubled and then had an extra zero on the end.  This was for a mid-level client - 400 users, 80ish spaces and projects, etc.

Thanks for the ansvar.

Hello Nic

I have one more question.

Is it possible to sync user that belongs to a group in AD how i called JIRA_USER and when i sync this group all user in that group by default get access to apllikation JIRA_Software ?

I have tried with on success.

Thanks

Jan

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 7, 2017

It is.  Go into Jira admin and find the application management.  In there, you can add groups to the "this group can use Jira Software" permission.

Check out "global permissions" as well.

Suggest an answer