Running more than one CSV import concurrently

David Nickell September 6, 2012

Does anyone know if it is possible to run multiple CSV Importers at the same time? Maybe with multiple users?

Additional Info ... I am trying to import 300,000 issues (and 3 million comments). Since the CSV importer is running slow (maybe 3000 issue imported per hour?), this could take me 100 hours. I was hoping to run multiple CSVs concurrently, but it doesn't look possible.

I know I can run multiple CLIs concurrently -- but I think I'm limited to loading two custom fields at a time. That would mean another couple of passes with CLI to get all the custom fields loaded for a single issue.

I may see if I can run multiple Jellys concurrently. Since the newest CSV importer allows you to load subtasks now, I could use Jelly for the main issues and CSV for the subtasks.

3 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
David Nickell October 9, 2012

From what I've seen, it is not possible to run multiple importers at the same time.

0 votes
Norman Abramovitz
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 6, 2012

I agree it would help to understand the issue you are trying to resolve.

Maybe using the JIRA CLI (Command Line Interface) with the "createissue" command could work. You would need to write a script to process the CSV file and convert the values to their CLI parameters.

It depends on the values you need to load.

There is also a CSV option, "RunFromCsv", but you need to make sure your CSV is formatted correctly.

I just found it easier the previous way since I got different styles of CSV to handle and I was able to clean up the data before loading.

Thanks for responding. I will add additional detail. I am trying to import 300k issues. I considered CLI but it seemed limited to two custom fields per command. I also considered JELLY but it doesn't seem to handle subtasks. (Of course the newest CSV Importer 4.4 allows me to import subtasks separately now which may help). Then again, I think Jelly is single threaded (cannot run more than one at a time) too. CLI would allow me to run multiple threads.

0 votes
Johan-Kees Vliek September 6, 2012

Hi David,

Why would you want to do this? Providing a bit more context may give you more answers.

More on topic, can't you merge the CSV files before importing them?

Regards,

Johan-Kees

Thanks for responding. I will add additional detail. I'm trying to import 300k issues and was thinking of breaking the list up so I could run multiple loads concurrently.

Suggest an answer