Running fresh Jira install on Linux

Joshua Nass April 28, 2013

It's been over six months since my last Jira install and that was on a much more "open" system.

Today I have a dedicated user "jirasvc" with sudo privilages. I have installed Jira as a service and when I try and run start-jira.sh with the jirasvc user I get a complaint that the user is not the expected "jira" user.

I understand that during the install process Jira attempts to create a new user and set it with the appropriate access rights to the files. However on this system, that is impossible as it is very locked down.

How do I run jira with jirasvc and avoid further complication?

Thank you!

2 answers

0 votes
Tiago Comasseto
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 29, 2013

Hi Joshua,

JIRA installer is good for almost all the Linux environments, but in some cases I believe the tar.gz distribution is better.

Also, you can use these instructions to create a start up script and choose the user account you want to execute the script.

I hope this helps.

Cheers

0 votes
Joshua Nass April 28, 2013

Are you saying that by creating the startup script start-jira.sh will no longer require user "jira" be the one that runs it?

Harry Chan
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 29, 2013

Or you can modify start-jira.sh if you have the permissions to.

Suggest an answer