Running Jira and Confluence on a virtual server

William Rodewald August 28, 2014

Hi,

I want to set up a server for Jira, Confluence and maybe Stash for my own developments and maybe some university projects with some other students.

Sadly, I don't have any experience when it comes to servers and applications servers etc. so I wanted to ask you If you could help me.

Since students generaly don't have a bunch of money left on the bank at the end of the month, I would like to rent a virtual server. For example somethink like this: http://www.1and1.co.uk/VirtualServerL?linkOrigin=virtual-server&linkId=ct.btn.continue.l&ordernow=true<br< a="">>
The questions I have are:
Is a virtual server fast enough (+ enough RAM) to run Jira, Concluence and Stash? Like I said, the users will stay bellow 10 persons, for the most time only me. ;D
If I want to install all apps on the same virtual server, can I use the installers for linux which include an application server?

That's It! thanks in advance and sorry for the amateur question. ;)

Cheers

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Jan-Peter Rusch
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 28, 2014
Hi, you will run into problems when you try to run more than one product on a single server as eg. Jira and Ccnfluence are both Java apps using Tomcat as application server. Atlassian strongly urges one not to install them on a single machine. Same should be true fir Stash. Therefore, you should have at least 3 virtual servers, maybe another one for the databases. 2GB Ram for the OS & the app server & the database is barley enough but it should work to play around, but only with one app at a time. Jan
William Rodewald August 28, 2014

Hi,
thanks for the relpy. :)
So using the OnDemand Service would be cheaper after all, at least for jira and confluence, right?

0 votes
Jan-Peter Rusch
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 28, 2014

I guess so. You get the service and don't have to struggle around setting everything up... In our company we use a common database server (MySQL) and seperate virtual machines for each product (Jira, Confluence, Fisheye/Crucible & Stash). If you don't have strict security rules restricting the use of cloud bases services as in our case, I sure would go for the OnDemand solution...

Jan

Suggest an answer