Running JIRA from a packed WAR is not supported.

Michael Simon
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 9, 2014

I'm trying to upgrade to JIRA 6.3 and am getting this error. I've never had to do worry about unpacking war files. It's only asking for problerms.

ERROR:

Running JIRA from a packed WAR is not supported. Configure your Servlet container to unpack the WAR before running it.

5 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Michael Simon
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 21, 2014

Atlassian provided an answer based upon the following URL.

https://issues.apache.org/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=51294

In short, Tomcat stopped supporting unpacking of war files outside of appBase in version 7.0.12 They then fixed the issue in Tomcat 8 and back ported the fix to 7.0.48 going forward.

Why JIRA just now started complaining about the error was never answered. But upgrade past 7.0.48 and you'll be good.

0 votes
Yves Martin
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 9, 2015

I run JIRA (since release 6.0.8) on Tomcat 7.0.28 on up-to-date Debian GNU/Linux 7.5 Wheezy and currently with release 6.2.6 but I have found no information how to run 6.3.12 release with the same context /etc/tomcat7/Catalina/localhost/jira.xml:

<Context path="/jira" docBase="atlassian-jira6.war" reloadable="false" useHttpOnly="true">
  <Parameter name="jira.home" value="/var/local/jirahome/"/>
  <Resource name="UserTransaction" auth="Container" type="javax.transaction.UserTransaction"
    factory="org.objectweb.jotm.UserTransactionFactory"
    jotm.timeout="60"/>
  <Manager pathname=""/>
</Context>

I read again https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Installing+JIRA+on+Tomcat+6.0+or+7.0 and the KB https://confluence.atlassian.com/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=433394196 does not match my setup as unpackWAR is already true.

My tomcat "webapps" only contains "ROOT" as context directly deploys from WAR location - read-only file, exactly the same WAR file for all environment as "jira.home" is set from Context Parameter.

Is there a way to get JIRA 6.3 runs with Debian Tomcat installation ?

0 votes
Axel Aumann July 15, 2014

Hello Danilo,

we experience the same beahavior when trying to upgrade form version 6.2.3 to 6.3.1.

Our server.xml contains the following:

<Host name="localhost"  appBase="webapps"
            unpackWARs="true" autoDeploy="true"
            xmlValidation="false" xmlNamespaceAware="false">

As you can see the unpackWARs option is set to true like suggested in the linked article.

We are running JIRA in Apache Tomcat/7.0.26.

We didn't experience similiar issues when upgrading from version 6.1.7 to 6.2.3.

Kind regards,

Axel

0 votes
Danilo Conrad
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 11, 2014

Hi Michael,

This looks like the problem addressed by the KB article below:

Could you please check if the solution on the KB works?

Cheers,

Danilo

Michael Simon
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 21, 2014

This article doesn't fix the issue at hand.

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 9, 2014

What application server are you running? (And version)

Suggest an answer