Running JIRA and Stash together

Florian Rogner November 30, 2013

Hi guys!

I spent the last 24 hours trying to properly set up JIRA and Stash. First of all, if I only run JIRA or only run Stash everything works fine - as soon as I want to run both problems start to occur everywhere.

I read trough all the problems with running them on a single tomcat and so on but I never found the solution for my problem.

Let me describe my situation: I own a vServer which is running Debian 6 with 4GB of RAM and a non-dedicated amount of CPU power. As mentioned above, resources are not a problem, even when I am running both together I can hardly get over 50% load in general. On my system there is a JRE (openJDK) installed and I have multiple websites (apache2) running on it.

What I want to do now, is to install both, JIRA and Stash, side by side on this very system. I have JIRA and Stash running as seperate users (jira and stash) which results in two tomcat processes running as different users with differen PIDs. Furthermore, the CATALINA_HOME and CATALINA_BASE are set to the applications home directories (/var/jira-home and /var/stash-home).

Am I now running two different instances of tomcat or are they still in the same?

To fix the tomcat problem, I tried to make sure that both applications are not interfering with their ports. The only port which was the same in both applications was the redirectPort which is set to 8443. I tried to change it in the stash server.xml to 8444 which caused stash to not start up.

I hope someone can assist me with this rather complex topic (at least for me).

Thanks in advance,
Flo

1 answer

0 votes
cofarrell
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 1, 2013

Hi Flo,

"Am I now running two different instances"

You should be running two, and we definitely don't support the running of our applications on a single Tomcat.

What do the logs say? As you hinted at, I also suspect the problem will be port related, although in most cases we try to shift the server ports for each product to avoid clashes out-of-the-box.

I would suggest raising a support ticket and attach both sets of logs so we can diagnose the problem further.

Cheers,

Charles

Florian Rogner December 9, 2013

Thanks for the reply. Which logs should I include? The problem is, that the servers start up properly but then some weird errors occur, e.g. when I first start Jira and Stash afterward, stash fails with the error "Git was not found on the PATH for Stash. Install Git 1.7.6+, excluding 1.8.4.3, and restart Stash."

Cheers,
Flo

cofarrell
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 9, 2013

Hi Florian,

The more logs the better. In particular the $INSTALL/logs, $STASH_HOME/log and $JIRA_HOME/log directories

Is Git definitely on the path? What version are you running?

> echo $PATH

> git --version

Cheers,

Charles

Florian Rogner December 9, 2013

Yes, git is definitely on the path. If I don't start jira beforehands everything works fine.

which git
/usr/local/bin/git
echo $PATH
/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/bin:

and

git --version
git version 1.8.5

Should I add the logs over here or really file a new support ticket?

Suggest an answer