Run Jira as a service : JAVA_HOME is not defined

Pierre Cattin
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 30, 2013

Hi, I have intalled Jira 6.1, not as a service, but now I would like to run it as a service:

I followed that procedure but I I get an error message telling me that JAVA_HOME is not defined, even though I defined it:

7 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 31, 2013

Hmm, Windows 2003, storage server - odd choice of platform.

Main problem here is that you need to be running AT LEAST JDK 1.6 to run Jira 6.0.

Tarun Sapra
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 31, 2013

"odd choice of platform." - is an Understatement ;)

Pierre Cattin
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 31, 2013

It's a test server to prepare an upgrade of Jira. But you're right, I should also upgrade the OS, not only Jira. Thanks.

0 votes
rambabu patina
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 31, 2013

May be the problem is due to failure to locate "MSVCR71.DLL", which can be found in %JAVA_HOME%/bin. There are two options to resolve this problem:

• Add %JAVA_HOME/bin to PATH, then restart the JIRA server.
  • Copy MSVCR71.DLL to system path, C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32 or C:\WINNT\SYSTEM32

And You cannot run JIRA as a service on a 64-bit operating system

Pierre Cattin
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 31, 2013

Thanks, but these two options are for jdk1.6 and I tried with jdk1.7...

My OS is Windows Server 2003 32 bits.

Maybe I should try to re-install Jira and simply tick the box "install jira as a service".

Tarun Sapra
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 31, 2013

Hi Pierre,

Why aren't you upgrading your OS, your gonna run into lot of compatibility issues, as it's really really outdated.

0 votes
rambabu patina
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 31, 2013

Try using java jdk 1.7 version.

And which OS(provide me the bit also) you are using to run this service?

And see this link may helps you.

0 votes
Tarun Sapra
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 31, 2013

I don't think that Jira 6.x is really compatible with jdk4.x

Pierre Cattin
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 31, 2013

I have installed jdk1.7 and it didn't change:

Do you know why it ignores JAVA_HOME?

0 votes
Pierre Cattin
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 31, 2013

Hi Steven, I tried to point JAVA_HOME to the jre directory, but it didn't change anything. Then I set JRE_HOME, and here's what I got :

And there are no entries in the jira log file...

0 votes
StevenA
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 31, 2013

It seem that your JAVA_HOME should be pointed to C:\j2sdk1.4.2_10\<jre drectory>

Reference document: https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/DOC/Setting+the+JAVA_HOME+Variable+in+Windows

0 votes
StevenA
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 31, 2013

As you can see on the document that you have provided, it stated Ensure the JAVA_HOME variable is set to the root of your Java platform's installation directory.

You can follow this document to set JAVA_HOME variable on your Windows.

Best Regards

Steven

Suggest an answer