Row/Swimlane WIP Constraints

Karl Fuchs August 15, 2016

This question is in reference to Atlassian Documentation: Configuring Columns

I have an expedite swim-lane, and do not want the column WIP constraint to apply to these expedite items. Therefore - want to set a row constraint for the expedite lane. Is this possible?

2 answers

3 votes
Tarun Sapra
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 15, 2016

Hi Karl,

It's indeed an important feature to have WIP for swimlanes, but currently it isn't possible, please vote here - https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JSW-3681 and see the comments as well.

Tarun Sapra
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 15, 2016

One of the comments "Please provide this issue at your earliest convenience. We absolutely need it provide WIP limit for Expedite swimlanes."

Like # people like this
Scott Woyak April 9, 2018

I didn't see a "vote" button on that issue.

We just started using a Kanban board thinking we could start with the very basic scenario of an Expedite swimlane that with no WIP limit and a Other swimlane that we could set a WIP limit on.  That seems like an essential (must-have) requirement for a Kanban board to be able to support different WIP limits based on the swimlane.

Like Abhi Singh likes this
Scott Woyak April 9, 2018

Found the "vote button and voted.

0 votes
Yuri Kudin November 18, 2021

Hi there,

I am not sure if it is still relevant but it might be useful for other people who have the same problem.

We have created an Advanced agile board that support WIP per swimlane and WIP for each cell (Intersection of Swimlane and Column). This tool is perfectly suited for Kanban implementation.

Also, we are working on multicolumn WIPs now. 

Only one disadvantage, that the add on is available for Cloud only. The datacenter version will be released in early 2022.

I hope this add on can help you.

Screenshot_3.pngscr1.png

scr1.png

https://marketplace.atlassian.com/apps/1223877/advanced-kanban-agile-boards?hosting=cloud&tab=overview&utm_campaign=content-strategy&utm_source=community-atlassian&utm_medium=questions&utm_content=aab-wip

Cheers,

Yuri

Suggest an answer