Rolling over incomplete user stories...

Hi,

we've observed some inconsistent behaviour in JIRA Agile 6.3 when finalising a sprint with incomplete user stories.  I always thought that incomplete stories were placed into the Product Backlog - which is supported by the documentation, however one of our ScrumMasters had observed within his project that JIRA was automatically shifting them into the next open sprint - until recently when it seems to have started placing them into the Product Backlog.

My online searches for an answer to this have been inconclusive.

Can anyone tell me, or point me towards a definitive answer as to JIRA Agile's correct behaviour - and more specifically, how we can ensure it consistently rolls over incomplete stories into the next sprint?

Regards

Mick

1 answer

1 accepted

I think I found the answer myself.

Remembering that Sprints can be have (at least) 3 statuses:

• Created
  • Started
  • Closed

So, when the future sprint has been Created (but not yet started) it will automatically rollover the incomplete stories into the new sprint - however if you close the first sprint after having already started the 2nd print it will push them back into the Product Backlog.

Makes some kind of sense I suppose.

Mick

Suggest an answer

How to earn badges on the Atlassian Community

How to earn badges on the Atlassian Community

Badges are a great way to show off community activity, whether you’re a newbie or a Champion.

Learn more
Community showcase
Published Thursday in Jira

5 ways you can make the most of Jira Software and Bitbucket Cloud

As part of the Bitbucket product team I'm always interested in better understanding what kind of impact the use of our tools have on the way you work. In a recent study we conducted of software devel...

66 views 0 5
Read article

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you