Roadmapping / gantt tool

Jordan Pesout October 5, 2019

I am searching for a tool that gives me an overview of all my issues in a roadmap or in a Gantt chart.  But ideally it would update automatically based on today's date and take into account the estimated hours.

It should be nice if there is an automatic suggestion of the way the work should be planned, but we should be able to move things around.

We don't use start and end date, but we use estimated hours and try the plan the issues based on priorities.

I' ve looked at Jira Portfolio, but I don't know if this does exactly as I'm explaining above.

Is there another tool that does something like this?

We will be using it for long term planning, to give an idea of an end date for our customers and an idea of start date when new development can be started (very important for our sales guy )

Has anyone has experience on how we can best manage this in Jira?

1 answer

0 votes
Stephen Wright _Elabor8_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 6, 2019

Hi @Jordan Pesout

I would consider Portfolio based on what you're looking for. Portfolio can handle things such as:

• Visualisation of work and future finish dates - both set and estimated
  • Estimates and default estimates (for work not yet estimated)
  • Forecasting based release dates and teams (i.e work to do vs free time)

There's a lot of detail on getting started with Portfolio here; I'd suggest checking it out and giving it a trial run.

There are alternatives - such as BigPicture. You can also try looking for roadmapping tools on the Marketplace

Ste

Jordan Pesout October 6, 2019

@Stephen Wright _Elabor8_ Thanks for the answer!

I'll take a look at Portfolio.

Do you know if it's possible to setup ( and pay) for a limited amount of users of our Jira? Only a few people of our company should be able to work with portfolio. It would be a waist of money if we have to pay for all our users in Jira for portfolio if only a handful will work with it.

Stephen Wright _Elabor8_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 7, 2019

Hi @Jordan Pesout

Not for Marketplace Apps - see this page, Licensing and Pricing:

For Jira, you must purchase the app license that matches the highest Jira application tier. For example, if you have a 500-User Jira Software license, and a 20-Agent Jira Service Desk license, your Jira apps must be at the 500-User level. 

If that's a necessity you might have to consider using another tool - such as a BI Tool or a separate road mapping tool which can relate to Jira via the API or a connected app. 

Ste

Jordan Pesout October 7, 2019

Hi @Stephen Wright _Elabor8_ 

Once again, thanks!

That's kind of a disappointment for us.

I'll start searching for some separate road mapping tool, separate from Jira.

Do you know any? :-) 

Dave Rosenlund
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 7, 2019

Hi, @Jordan Pesout.   The app vendors who sell their products on the Atlassian Marketplace must abide by Atlassian's licensing rules (of course). However, in my experience, the vendors who make products that will not be used by all Jira users take this into consideration when setting their prices (I know that we do). 

I.e., If we could sell you a license for our product for 50% of your Jira users the price would be roughly 2x what it is today.

So, you are *not* really paying for all Jira users.  This is an unfortunate misconception.

Beyond that, if your company is a young/small one,  the Jira app prices are nominal. 

Good luck!

-dave [ALM Works]

Stephen Wright _Elabor8_
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 7, 2019

Hi @Jordan Pesout

There are plenty out there - such as Aha! Roadmaps - connector is here

Alternatives to that are to use a BI Tool or a Confluence roadmap - but these won't have forecasting built-in so you'd need to put a little more manual work in.

Ste

Suggest an answer