Right usage of "fix version" for issues that won't fix

Francesco Face February 3, 2014

I'm starting using Jira Agile and I'm facing with a little problem.

Until now I've used the "fix version" for all issues that are actually deployed in a new version, ignoring the field for all duplicated or outdated or "not a bug" issues, that is all those issues that I won't fix for whatever reason.

Now, when I use a Kanban board, in the "Done" column I see all those issues, because they are closed but not yet "released" (since they don't have a fix version).

I can't change tha general Kanban filter to exclude issues without fix version, because that way I wouldn't see any of the open issues, so the only solution I've found so far is to put a fix version even for issues that I won't fix.

Do you have a better solution?

3 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Ubisoft
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 3, 2014

Hi Francesco,

Wouldn't you be able to change your work sub-filter to exclude resolved issues? That way you'd only see unresolved issued that don't have a FixVersion.

Hi Ubisoft,
unfortunately such a filter would exclude all issues from the "Done" column, even ones that are actually fixed but not yet released.

Ubisoft
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 3, 2014

So maybe just a (resolution != Will not fix). Otherwise Daryl's suggestion of creating a dummy fixversion would be the best idea.

There are several resolutions that are similar to "will not fix" such as "duplicated", "not a bug" etc. I would need to review the sub-filter in case I add a similar resolution.

So far a fake "Won't fix" version seems to be the best option, but I'll wait to be sure that this was what Daryl meant.

Ubisoft
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 4, 2014

Really it comes down to adjusting the filter for your board to include or exclude the issues that you want/don't want. Sky's the limit when it comes to that, just pick and choose what you want.

Francesco Face February 7, 2014

I don't like very much to setup something that might needs to be reviewed, and working on the subfilter forces me to:

1. Writing the same subfilter for every new Kanban
2. Modify the subfilter if I create a new resolution

Indeed the second case should not be so frequent, but in such a case I would have to review every subfilter of every kanban.

On the other side, using a fake version seems a workaround, not a real solution.

I admit that this is more a philosophic matter than a concrete one, since two suggested solutions achieve the same result.

I think to use your suggestion and switch to the "fake version solution" if yours will require too much effort in maintaining it.

1 vote
darylchuah
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 3, 2014

You can actually just put additionaly option such as Won't Fix as the option value for the Fix Version field.

I'm not sure what you mean. Are you saying to create a fake version named "Won't fix"?

0 votes
Karie Kelly
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 4, 2014

I, too, am having a difficult time understanding what you want to do. We use the resolution of Abandoned, Duplicate, and Won't fix and then close them out with no Fix Version. Therefore, those items get excluded from any filter (e.g. Resolution not in (Abandoned, Duplicate, "Won't Fix") or fixversion is empty) and therefore they don't appear on our boards.

Francesco Face February 7, 2014

Hi Karie,

I've tried to better explain my doubts replying to Ubisoft.
Thank you for sharing your way, I will try it too.

Suggest an answer