Revisited: Cleaning up Kanban Done while keeping reports working

John Price
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 4, 2017

I have the same problem many others have reported:  I need to keep the Kanban Done column from getting swamped over time, but using a date filter on the board query ruins the reports.  This is a dev support team whose work is not "released" in any meaningful sense.  

See for example: https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Answers-Developer-Questions/Cleaning-up-Done-tasks-on-Kanban-board/qaq-p/467169

Has anyone come up with a good answer that preserves the reports?  If I limit Done to things resolved within the last 14 days, my Cumulative Flow chart no longer gives me a history.  So far it seems the best option is to make a regular fake release like "2017.01" for the first week in 2017, etc. but this feels clunky.

Thoughts?

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Peter DeWitt
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 4, 2017

@John Price, I think the fake release is the way to go here.  It is a bit clunky so make the time frame long enough that you don't get swamped by too many issues in the done column.  I usually like to use 2 week 'releases' or one every month.  The monthly release works nicely as it coincides with the calendar.

pd 

John Price
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 6, 2017

@Peter DeWitt.  Thanks Peter.  I took the date filter off the board query and am using releases now.  I did one catch-all for items in the projects that were resolved before the new team took over, and will do one every two weeks.  Much better for the Cumulative Flow chart and other metrics.

The only slight annoyance is that since the board pulls from two projects, I have to create each fix version in two places and release twice.  The whole process only takes a couple of minutes though.

Peter DeWitt
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 13, 2017

We had to do the same.  It would be nice if the fix version was global across projects.

Suggest an answer